Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Personal Goals

Re: Personal Goals

Reading the fixtures calender has got me, all fired up. Unfortunately enthusiasm doesn't make up for my lack of ability.

I started 2008 as a non runner, entered my 1st race in july and am now hooked

goals for 09;

More races,

Realy want to do an MM this year,

Stop getting knocked over and injured by the dog on training runs

Have fun

I guess like alot of others I 'fell' in to fell running. I started out as a climber but as a number of my regular climbing partners started working away alot more getting out at a weekend became less and less regular.

I started doing a few runs to keep the weight off and things progressed from there as I found running could be fitted in to my working week easily.

The first thing I wanted to do was to run a mountain marathon, as part of the training for that I ran some great races and things just snowballed. This year its the Haworth Hobble, a mountain marathon and the Old County Tops. Next year its the Coast to Coast, year after that its the MDS.

Like others have said I'm not particularly fast, but I just love getting out and having a laugh with my mates and pushing each other.

I love the feeling of satisfaction knowing I've pushed myself at the weekend when I sit down to my desk on a Monday morning. The other thing I find strangely satisfying is plotting where you've ran on a map, but I guess thats the pleurile train spotter in me!

novice

mine are to complete enough races to qualify in the Hayfield Champs, complete Three Shires and enjoy it and maybe do Brecon in August.

This is while we have a second child in April so careful juggling needed!

Hopefully I'll be able to make Kinder Downfall

Enjoy

At first it was to make the school cross country team, which I scraped in to in 1975. Having done that I compleely suprised everyone including myself at the districh cc champs by finishing 9th and second counter for our team. As a result I was invited to join a club (Essex Beagles) where I trained alongside Colin Reitz and Graham Fell amongst many other talented others. So often aim was to make the club's scoring team for championships, I picked up a bronze medal at Southerns in 1977. On the track it was case of bettering your own pbs and being inspired to beat others set by club mates. Apart from road relays at either end of the track season I hardly ever raced on the road as a teenager.

When I returned to running properly at 21 initially it was a case of getting back to a decent level of fitness for first 6 months during which time I set pb after pb on the road. As time went on I went back to track racing and never quite reached same level as I had at school for 1500m & 3000m. At 5000m I did eventually manage to run 42 secconds quicker than I had in sixth form. I did have one mad track season where I ran 4 or 5 10,000 metre races. Though it did seem odd chasing pbs that were actually 3 minutes slower than I'd done on the road.

On the road like a lot of others I've gradually moved up the distances as I've got older. 100km is furthest I've raced so far.

In summary I've not always chased times but have usually had a particular target in mind. Whether it has been winning county champs or area champs on the track, on the country making Norfolk (never quite made an Essex team !!) or Eastern Counties teams. All of which I've achieved at some stage over the years.

I'll be first to admit after 34 years it is difficult to find something to get me really motivated. So I was glad of the offer of a number for an ultra in less than 4 weeks time to get me on the ball.
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Personal goals are interesting and I suppose 'personal'. I've never been able to run quickly and I'm not really interested in trying to speed up now in my mid-40s However I love the 'buzz' of racing.

My goals are literally to see how far I can go and a BGR sooner rather than later is part of that
    Not copying off you DT, but my plan is the same as yours including the mid-40s bit
    Hills and Guinness!

complete 2 marathons, time i ain't too bothered about for the 1st one, 2nd one will prob end up slower than the 1st one, which will inspire me to do another one..

try and beat my PB at 10k and half marathon, the half is possible not too sure about the 10k though!!

also remain injury free all year by concentrating on certain races rather than just turning up to as many as possible..
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Not much chance of me speeding up. So I try aim for M45 bests or bests as vet full stop.

Mine are almost all road orientated

sub 2:50 marathon
    sub 1:20 half
    sub 1 hr 10 mile
    sub 34 10k
    sub 16:30 5k

On the fells, 1:16 or so for Snowdon (done 1:20 in poor conditions).
    Sub 3:30 Peris (done 3:38 and 3:33)
    Sub 1:40 Ben (done 1:44 but in good conditions but tired after UTMB)
    Sub 3:40 Jura (done 3:42 but in awesome conditions)

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Mine are almost all road orientated

sub 2:50 marathon
    sub 1:20 half
    sub 1 hr 10 mile
    sub 34 10k
    sub 16:30 5k

On the fells, 1:16 or so for Snowdon (done 1:20 in poor conditions).
    Sub 3:30 Peris (done 3:38 and 3:33)
    Sub 1:40 Ben (done 1:44 but in good conditions but tired after UTMB)
    Sub 3:40 Jura (done 3:42 but in awesome conditions)
    Rather suprised you haven't cracked those road targets already Iain.

Only ever done the 1 marathon in 3:03 at Snowdon with gut issues in bad weather, so on a flat course low 2:50's should be comfortable.

Did 1:21 something for a half marathon, but that was the day after doing a 10k race,

34:24 pb for 10k

I've done 16:50 or so for 5k but that was race the train which doesn't really count.

Never done a 10. The 10 should be straight forward, I'm consistently running sub 36 10k's even on hilly routes, but it's just finding a 10 when I'm free. I'm now doing the Highland Fling when our localish 10 miler is on in Wrexham.