Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do to pass a horse

Re: What do you do to pass a h

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Rest assured I know of no cases where a horse has eaten a fellrunner.
    My brother got eaten by a donkey once.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

david

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    sugarlumps if they come towards you
    I always wondered why I took sugarlumps with me on every run .

Me and big beasties don't get on, I'm sure they sense my nervousness

Recently encountered a horse on a run that came towards me and I thought it was just after a bit of affection which I duly provided. Then the damn thing tried head butting me before thankfully running off.

The best one (or possibly worst depending on which way you want to look at it) was last year running through a field with a herd of cows. I gave them a wide berth as I slowly ran past them but then being inquisitive decided to give chase. In the end I ran like the clappers to the stile at the end of the field where I managed to stumble over it into the next field.

Managed a few expletives whilst trying to catch my breath but failed to realise that the gate to the field was wide open and they were still hurtling towards me

Oh I do like this Forum!

The scaryiest thing I ever came across when running .......... was an 'oss with a great big dangly thing between it's back legs. I'll tell you I was struck dumb with speechlessness at sight of it! It came lumbering towards me snorting and a kicking with an evil glint in its eye. An am not kidding! It reared up on its hind legs (all three of 'em) and I swear it winked at me.
    That was it, I was off as fast as I could run. And I'll tell you, running backwards is right tricky over a clarty field.

I was in a south east lancs cross country league race a few years ago at Middleton when a horse charged us a couple of minutes into the race. I and a few others stopped, but 10 or so runners overtook and broke away into the lead (it was quite a narrow passage). By the time they had restrained the horse the other runners had got about a minute advantage. They received quite a few shouts off abuse from the rest of the field, and rightly so. If them running past has caused the horse to bolt we could have all been for it.
    Last edited by A.G; 28-02-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.G View Post
    I was in a south east lancs cross country league race a few years ago at Middleton when a horse charged us a couple off minutes into the race. I and a few others stopped, but 10 or so runners overtook and broke away into the lead (it was quite a narrow passage). By the time they had restrained the horse the other runners had got about a minute advantage. They received quite a few shouts off abuse from the rest of the field, and rightly so. If them running past has caused the horse to bolt we could have all been for it.
    Are you saying that the runners got abuse if so why? That horse was already charging and was gonna bolt anyway so i dont see the problem is about a few runners running past and i would have carried on running past the horse

I had two horses run at me at the end of a race and i just put my head down and run through the middle of them
    The race does not always go to the swift, but to the ones who keep running

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Rabbit View Post
    Are you saying that the runners got abuse if so why? That horse was already charging and was gonna bolt anyway so i dont see the problem is about a few runners running past and i would have carried on running past the horse

I had two horses run at me at the end of a race and i just put my head down and run through the middle of them
    It is this kind of macho attitude that could have got people killed. We were in a small passage confronted by a horse. If the people squeezing past it had caused it to bolt then it would have mowed into 50 people.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.G View Post
    It is this kind of macho attitude that could have got people killed. We were in a small passage confronted by a horse. If the people squeezing past it had caused it to bolt then it would have mowed into 50 people.
    Quite right, you should never pass a horse through a small passage .
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Hi .. I meet a fair few horses & riders, and in my experience the riders are more trouble than the horses; I have found that the best thing to do is stand your ground and let the horses move on past you, before you move off. Anything else and the riders might try and blame you, A bit like owners with dogs "well he wouldn't bite..... if you weren't running" sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post
    Quite right, you should never pass a horse through a small passage .
    It this like passing a camle through the eye of a needle?

Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker