Thread: Sore balls (of feet)

Sore balls (of feet)

Over the years, on and off, I have suffered from sore balls to my feet. The skin is thickened and tough, but the soreness is much deeper down towards the outside of my feet. I get occasional waves of burning sensation while I'm inactive and it's uncomfortable to get going at the beginning of a run. The entire balls are swollen (not just skin, but bone?), increasing the depth of my feet at that point. Could they be bunnions? Any ideas or advice out there?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Sore balls (of feet)

I get it in the tissue of the skin directly under the balls of my big toe towards the end of a really long run. Doubt it's the same. I just put it down to lack of cushioning under that part of foot.

Get me feet in the flip-flops after a run and...ahhhh!! Heaven!

Sounds like you've got something more complicated.

No help at all that, was it?
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Bunions tend to be noticable - I know I've got some!! they are also on the inside part of your foot at the joint where the 1st metatarsal and big toe meet.

Not sure about towards the outside of your foot, If it eases somewhat once you've got going then that is sounds more sugesstive of muscle, ligament, or connective tissue (like fascia) inflamation.

Sounds like a trip to you GP could be a good idea if its been going on for awhile.
    I can do down hill

Thanks h&p. When I say the outside, perhaps I meant the inside. It's on the balls of the feet and tending towards the edge, up the sides.

I think what southersoftie says has a lot of relevance. Some shoes may exacerbate the symptoms more than others (even walking around shoes, which are always cast-off trail shoes anyway). I've just thrown a couple of pairs away, pointing an accusing finger at them as they disappeared into the dustbin. I'll see if the problem settles down now.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    I think what southersoftie says has a lot of relevance. Some shoes may exacerbate the symptoms more than others (even walking around shoes...)
    Ooh yeah, that's just reminded me that my work shoes do this to my feet as well, if I've had to park quite a way from the office.

Just thought I'd share that...
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 11-03-2009 at 06:27 PM.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Maybe get a referral to see a Podiatrist, i saw one today in the new gateway building, have you been to have your feet examined at the doctors?

Hi NB,
    Thanks for advice. They seem to have settled down somewhat over the last few weeks since I threw away my general walking around shoes (cast-off trail shoes). I think they were the main problem. I rarely get the intense burning sensation now while sitting or relaxing.
    I haven't been to Doctor. They're busy people and my case is far from serious

you could maybe try some soberthane inserts for your shoes
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    you could maybe try some soberthane inserts for your shoes
    I bought some heel cups for my shin pain, which i used today in my trainers, and i did walk home from work, which i did at a gentle pace, not speed walking like i have been doing, the heel cups i got are from a range called Neat Feat, (spelt that way on the package) Orthotics range, maybe you can find them on Amazon or someplace like that and try them, i think there was a full foot type, i just got the heel cups as i read it was good for shin splints.