Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5 month puppy...how far?

Re: 5 month puppy...how far?

Parents have recently got a rescue greyhound, about the only thing she uses her sight hound skills for are locating duvets. You have to throw her out the back door because she won't go out if its raining/cold/windy. Big dog as well, and she knows this so she plays dead when you try to get her to go outside and just acts like a dead weight. Not seen her chase yet, she watches a lot, but we don't trust her much yet so she's only allowed off the lead in areas we know are good. They've really taken to her though, and gone back to the rescue centre to sponsor a few of the older dogs which won't get homes. When she first arrived though she was a bit machine like, nothing going on, I think just institutionalised after her first 2 years of life in kennels, but she's developing all the time. Failed racer and you can see why.

Jackie i agree with you re: HD. What i wrote was poorly grammarised and read a bit wrong! I was just trying to say that you can't make a dog get HD unless it has the genetic potential for it, but the extent to which it develops is influenced by environmental factors if it already has the right genotype. I guess i'm just fed up of clients who blame their next door neighbour's cousin's grandma's laminate flooring that the dog once walked on in 1989 when in fact they've just bought a duff puppy and failed to research it. Not many people seem to understand the difference between genetic and congenital!

Hello!

Lovely pup!

I go on the 5 min per month of life rule with exercise till they are a year old. One of my friends over exercised her pup and ended up with a dog who hasn't grown right. With some breeds you have to be more careful.

Sheep - oh God - my dog is a nightmare with them she is an Alaskan Malamute and she comes fell running all the time in winter with me on a waist belt and harness. And when we enter a field with sheep she has an extra lead on - in case the harness breaks!
    Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by vburke View Post

in case the harness breaks!
    Blimey!

Sorry should have said not the whole harness that would break just the loop of rope on the back that the tug line clips on to! She is strong but maybe not that strong!