Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BG coming Friday 13/2

BG coming Friday 13/2

Anybody fancy a day in the lakes on a recce of leg1/2 of the BG this coming Friday I'll be heading up early morning aiming to arrive in Keswick about 8-8:30and leaving about 16:00.

Re: BG coming Friday 13/2

Take yer ice axe and crampons its lethal up there !

Cheers Norman I'll definitely be careful been on the news already on the OMM don't want to make it again !

Hi, I cant make this Fri, but I live in Kendal & self employed, so can make weekdays for a BG trot with enough advance warning. Have just started running again after 10 yr lay off, but did BG 25 yrs ago & am a mind to having a crack at 50 @ 50 if I can bring body up to speed in time! So if you have any future plans for recces, let me know I'd be delighted to accompany you.
    Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post
    Anybody fancy a day in the lakes on a recce of leg1/2 of the BG this coming Friday I'll be heading up early morning aiming to arrive in Keswick about 8-8:30and leaving about 16:00.
    I wouldn't like to be on Halls fell without axes and crampons at the moment, there is a lot of neve here just now about making things much more serious
    Bill

Exclamation Re: BG coming Friday 13/2

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    I wouldn't like to be on Halls fell without axes and crampons at the moment, there is a lot of neve here just now about making things much more serious
    A Winter Attempt...

I helped out on a very valiant attempt on a winter round this weekend . It was a 21.00 clockwise attempt on Fri 6th Feb. The conditions where indeed Very, Very wintery!!!, with high winds on the tops and lots of stinging spin drift, also lots of very hard neve, which meant zero grip from inov-8s - Kahtoolas indespensable (if you're venturing on to the tops while it remains cold it is worth investing in some).

A late arrival at Dunmail (1hr down on a 23.30) meant good progress would be needed on the remainder of the round to succeed. As we progressed west the wind did not really abait, nethertheless we managed to keep to the schedule times over the Pikes and up to Rossett. Then the fun began ...all I can say the next section was not the place for a pair of BGers. We got up to the rakes and as it got steeper and higher the harder the ice got, all the ground was totally snowed over and any rocks that pocked through were coated in a layer of ice, the kahtoolas were insufficient and we had to make do with very slow progress cutting steps with the ice axe. It took 60mins to get up this to get to flat ground. Which I had to lie on!

By this stage we were over 1.30hr down, which meant a 24hr round would be beyond us, especially considering that more steep ground lay ahead i.e. Scafell. With that we decided to call it quits and a retreat to Langdale would be best. But this too brought problems, not the snow this time but trying to make contact with the awaiting support party. Another point worth remembering is that mobile reception is useless in almost all the valleys, hence it would have been better to battle on to Wasdale, if only decsions could be made with hindsight knowledge!

This is what the tops where like:

Leg 1 generally OK, including Halls Fell, here the rock was dry but with some icy snow in the corners and gullies.
    Leg 2 - lots of hard icy neve, making going hard on the steeper sections on the high ground (kahtoolas worked well).
    Leg 3 - going generally OK over the pikes (again kahtoolas or spikes needed), the next bit Hanging knotts - Bowfell is best left to the climbers, cramps and ice axe needed if quick/safe progress is to be made.

For me a trip to remember and I only did part of Leg 3!

I will try to upload some pictures in the next day or two.

Sounds like an absolute epic under those conditions.
    I've had a few trips up on to the high fells over the past couple of weeks and conditions have been ferocious!
    Character building stuff!!

Cheers Guys,
    I don't think it will be full speed recce on Friday just fancied getting familiar with some of the ground, I've got all the kit and I know how to use it so it might make more of a mountaineering type day. Or I may just stay low!

Although no substitute for crampons you can purchase an instep type of spiked device which will fit running shoes and does afford you some level of safety. I have tried these and they are pretty effective for mainly walking but you can run in them. Grivel also make an instep device called the Spider which helps on icy ground and can be bought from Cotswold. Definately limited use but perhaps worth looking at. I would like to hear from other runners who have used them and thoughts on their use.

Quote Originally Posted by duncs View Post
    Hi, I cant make this Fri, but I live in Kendal & self employed, so can make weekdays for a BG trot with enough advance warning. Have just started running again after 10 yr lay off, but did BG 25 yrs ago & am a mind to having a crack at 50 @ 50 if I can bring body up to speed in time! So if you have any future plans for recces, let me know I'd be delighted to accompany you.
    Duncan
    Thanks Duncan,

To give you an idea of my plans I am doing pretty much every other Friday so next one will be 27th Feb, then 6th March (Due to Hobble week after) 20th March etc.

Karl