Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good are sports drinks?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How good are sports drinks?

Just been sent this and thought the rest of you forumites might be interested. It concerns Lucozade sport mainly but some of the bit & pieces you get crop up in other drinks too. See what you think.

http://theecologist.org/pages/archiv...ontent_id=2055

Re: How good are sports drinks

interesting article, thanks

"Large infusions of simple sugars can have a dramatic effect on insulin levels and lead to depression and anxiety. They also wreak havoc on the immune system. Studies show that the body’s immune response is dulled almost immediately after ingesting simple sugars."

this bit makes me feel worried

I have heard of a brand that has no artificial flavours or additives in it....Torq

having said all that, thundering up and down hills isn't without risk to the body either

as someone who has suffered with anxiety and depression, fell running, including the energy drinks I use during it is the best antidote to it

Quote Originally Posted by trilathon View Post
    interesting article, thanks

"Large infusions of simple sugars can have a dramatic effect on insulin levels and lead to depression and anxiety. They also wreak havoc on the immune system. Studies show that the body’s immune response is dulled almost immediately after ingesting simple sugars."

this bit makes me feel worried

I have heard of a brand that has no artificial flavours or additives in it....Torq

having said all that, thundering up and down hills isn't without risk to the body either

as someone who has suffered with anxiety and depression, fell running, including the energy drinks I use during it is the best antidote to it
    Thing is, I've known about sugar and the immune system for a long time but I can't resist a spoon in my cuppa! OK in moderation I suppose....

As for the "toxic" additives (e.g. aspartame), they're bloomin' frightening - all you have to do is find some studies in the web to see that they're anything but good for you. I use a brand that doesn't have too many of them in (Viper from Maximuscle).

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Just been sent this and thought the rest of you forumites might be interested. It concerns Lucozade sport mainly but some of the bit & pieces you get crop up in other drinks too. See what you think.
    Utterly barmy web page, classic scare-mongering stuff. Tells you everything is bad for you. It's rather scraping the barrel when it says that Maltodextrins may be bad as they're probably GM, the artificial sweetners are cancerous, and breathing in printers fumes containing Acacia Gum causes Asthma...

If it stuck to just one topic it might be OK, but it goes completely scatter gun and attacks everything, probably in the hope that if you throw enough mud some of it might stick.

Hello Joe!

Not saying that I agree with all of it... but there is substantial body of evidence that sugar has a negative effect on the ol' immune system by affecting hormone levels and raising insulin levels.

Plus there seem to be question marks about things like aspartame, which is now considered to be a "non nutritive sweetener". Go figure.

Still, after a stiff run out/race there's nowt as good as a sports drink to give you a lift!

Still, after a stiff run out/race there's nowt as good as a sports drink to give you a lift!
    i find a pint does the trick

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    i find a pint does the trick
    Why stop at one
    Hills and Guinness!

I knew I could count on the fell ponies to make a, errm, significant contribution to the thread!

Smile Re: How good are sports drinks

hello Joe! :

Still, After A Stiff Run Out/race There's Nowt As Good As A Sports Drink To Give You A Lift! :d
    Beer!

Many are branding this article as biased and I can understand this to a point. However when compared to all the hyped up sensationalised branding and unproven benefits we get shoved our way from media advertising, I think it is nice to see the other side.

People should be educated about what they are drinking and most of the information here is sound. Half of the ingredients in this drink would not even register with your body as food. What happens when your body detects a forein substance in your body? An immune response, thats what happens, and this ladies and gentlemen is a very bad thing.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step