Thread: Danny Hughes

Danny Hughes

I have just heard the sad news that Danny Hughes, President of the World Mountain Running Association and perhaps the best known figure in the sport of hillrunning around the world, has died suddenly at the age of 72. Danny was a lifelong competitor on the hills, with perhaps the pinnacle of his racing achievements coming when he became British 050 champion in 1988.

His love of the hills and the desire to put something back brought him into the administration side of the sport, as a race organiser and club official for Cumberland Fell Runners. He became involved in the Fell Runners Association, serving as its Chairman between 1980 and 1984. He then progressed on to the world stage, becoming first Secretary and then President of the World Mountain Running Association, which he helped to set up. Over a 25 year period he has done more than anyone to advance the development of the sport – whether you call it fell, hill or mountain running – at the international level.

I'm sure others can add to this brief summary of his contribution to our sport.

He will be sorely missed and my thoughts are with his family and many friends.

Malcolm

Re: Danny Hughes

I met him last year after the 3 Peaks. We went for a meal in Ingleton and he was eating in the same pub. Very friendly, chatted to everyone including some rather monosyllabic Russians who were staying in the same B&B as us. Sad to hear that such a nice fellow has passed away.

I was shocked and saddened to hear of the sudden death of Danny Hughes. He will best be remembered by me as organiser (amongst others and including the unforgettable Joe Long) of some of the best races on these shores including the Wadale and Ennerdale Races. Danny always came across a very "officious" but his organisational skills were uncomparable and under the exterior could be found a warm hearted man with an undoubted love of the Lakeland Fells and especially Wasdale. May his races last as a testament to him, my heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends
    What about "The Danny Hughes Wasdale Race"

I am deeply saddened by the news of the passing of Danny Hughes. I first met Danny in Susa, Italy in 2003 where he didn't know me, I didn't know him but he instantly supported and helped me out to get in and to mountain running races. His support over the years and the constant debate we had about doing mountain races or road races was great fun and I will now not be able to ring him up and ask how to get in certain races.

If Mrs Hughes does by any chance log in to the FRA forum I would lke to say a big thank you to you as well and to let you know how great a man your husband is.

Andi Jones
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Never met him... wish I had, good to know that someone can still inspire people to such an extent.

I only knew Danny remotely but it is clear he was committed to the sport and its development at the highest level. Basically he was WMRA. We have lost a colossus.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Very sad to hear this news, my thoughts and prayers are with his family.
    I haven't seen Danny for a number of years but I will remember him with great affection. Even in the relatively remote recesses of Wales he was held in great esteem for his lifelong commitment to both domestic and international fell and mountain running. I was fortunate to serve with him on the BAF Fell and Hill Running Commission in it's early years and to witness his rise through the WMRA committee. Throughout this time his motivation was always to develop the sport in a manner that served the best interests of runners and race organisers both domestically and abroad without losing touch with the best traditions of our much loved sport. That he has committed so much of his life to this is a testament to his love of the sport.
    I remember his railing against the Italian domination of international mountain running administration in the late 1980's and early nineties, a nice tidy cartel it was in those days. It was a joy to be in Susa, in 1990 I think, as he engineered a "coup d'etat" and the "mafiosi" were neatly moved upstairs to honorary positions. Selwyn and I chuckled quietly at the back!
    I guess there are many more stories to tell by those that knew him better than I, but for now Danny, I reckon there are probably some good hills in fellrunner's heaven , you will be sorely missed.

I met Danny in 1998 when I was based in southern Germany and supported the mountain runners in Switzerland and Austria during mountain races in the following 2 seasons.

A passionate fount of experience and knowledge who will be sorely missed.

May his memory live long

Ronnie

The next Fellrunner is now being produced and will include the following.

"It is with deep regret that we report the sudden death of Danny Hughes, President of the World Mountain Running Association, of a heart attack aged 72 yrs.

Danny was the leading administrator in world mountain running for many years, being Secretary of WMRA from 1984-1994 and President from 1994, being re-elected recently for a further term of office. He was the strategist behind WMRA, leading to the recognition of mountain running by IAAF and the acceptance of Championship status for the World Trophy. He was on the European Commission for Mountain Running and instrumental in promoting the European Championship. Mountain running events worldwide owe much to Dannys’ encouragement.

Dannys’ administrative skills began with his development of Cumberland Fell Runners Association and were refined as Chairman of the Fell Runners Association from 1982-5.He was however not just an accomplished organiser but also a fell runner of no mean ability. He was English V50 Champion in 1987 and 1988, and British V50 Champion in 1988 – though he was never happier running than when in the forest and on the fells of Blengdale.

Our deepest sympathy goes to his wife Norma and children, Johnny, Rachel and David.

A full obituary will appear in the next edition of the Fellrunner."

The World Mountain Running Trophy has only been held in England once, in Keswick in 1988, and the person who should be given most credit for making that happen was Danny Hughes.

Although many younger fell runners might not be familiar with the towering status of Danny they might recall that at the 2008 Three Peaks Race it was he who presented Jethro and Anna with their World Long Distance Mountain Running Challenge Gold Medals.

His status in the world of fell and mountain running was, simply, unique.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 12-02-2009 at 09:00 PM.