Page 139 of 209 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 2088

Thread: Anniversary Waltz

Re: Anni Waltz entries now on

Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Have you counted the numbers of walkers going up Catbells on a summer weekend - I have - nearly as many as our race entry. Have you seen the crap our marshals collect every year.... thats nowt to do with our race... have you any idea how much money the race puts back into the valley... that'ed be all the profits....... have you read the CROW Act....
    Wynn,

AW is a beautiful race and I thoroughly enjoy it every time I run it. I'm sure that you give loads of money back to the valley, and I don't think I've ever seen it with too many runners, although it came very close the one and only time it was an English Championship race.

But that doesn't mean that it can take an unlimited number of runners, does it? And I think that you should have thought very hard before making that particular statement publicly. People working for our main land owner can and do read the entries on this forum (as you well know!) and it would be a great shame if a careless statement like that led to the withdrawal of permission for the race.

The traffic jam business is an unfortunate side effect of holding a popular event in a valley with narrow lanes. It happens, and, believe me, there are locals who are annoyed by it.

YT

"....No entry limit? Isn't that a little bit irresponsible?
    Yes I've run it…..I thoroughly enjoy it every time I run it
    Wynn can't say there's NO limit
    I think that you should have thought very hard before making that particular statement publicly....."

Yorkshire Thug, perhaps you (as well as other like-minded people) could volunteer not to run the race. That would help decongest the valley! It would be preferable to do that than lecture Wynn.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post

But that doesn't mean that it can take an unlimited number of runners, does it? And I think that you should have thought very hard before making that particular statement publicly. People working for our main land owner can and do read the entries on this forum (as you well know!) and it would be a great shame if a careless statement like that led to the withdrawal of permission for the race.
    YT
    Not really, there is clearly no need to worry about entries because it doesnt reach massive numbers so what is the point.

As for people getting pee'd off with traffic from the race, tell them to get a life.

Any up date on the entry list for TWA Wynn??

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    "....No entry limit? Isn't that a little bit irresponsible?
    Yes I've run it…..I thoroughly enjoy it every time I run it
    Wynn can't say there's NO limit
    I think that you should have thought very hard before making that particular statement publicly....."

Yorkshire Thug, perhaps you (as well as other like-minded people) could volunteer not to run the race. That would help decongest the valley! It would be preferable to do that than lecture Wynn.
    Yiannis
    Yiannis,

OK. It's a deal - I'll skip this year's AW, but you and Wynn have a think about a realistic limit for your race, and think about solutions for some of your other problems too. My concerns are genuine, no matter how mch you re-edit my posts and try to put different meanings into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    As for people getting pee'd off with traffic from the race, tell them to get a life.
    Al,

Really! You wouldn't exactly make a very good embassador for our sport by telling the residents of Newlands valley to get stuffed ... so long as the race goes ahead!!

No Junior Champs Race - that will happen in all likelyhood from next year and therefore I am sure you will see a drop in cars and athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    Al,

Really! You wouldn't exactly make a very good embassador for our sport by telling the residents of Newlands valley to get stuffed ... so long as the race goes ahead!!
    I live in one of the most spectacular valleys in the country. Traffic is normal at the weekends. It's a price I pay for living where I do.

For one day a year running means my road is shut and I can't use my car. For one other day a year the village is almost impassable due to another race.

I don't mind at all. Even before I ran those race I didn't care.

I get TOLD my road is shut. No choices. But I know these races bring money to the valley, just like the Anni Waltz.

Good to see people happy and fit. Could be worse, could be a moaning old so and so eh?

As a local impacted on by such races, I agree with Al.

Re erosion. Of course numbers should sometimes be restricted after saturation point is reached. Most races in Snowdonia aren't limited, that only happens once the race reaches saturation point, which in Snowdonia is limited to only 3 races that I can think of off hand (Snowdon, Pen Fell Race, Marathon).

If you care so much about the environment why do you run any of the lake land classics or any other major race or route in the mountains of the UK. All those races have trods which have developed specifically BECAUSE of those races. So does the Paddy Buckley, so does the Bob Graham, so does the Pedol, so does Elidir, so does Jura and probably 95% of races in the calendar..We the runners are just as responsible for those trods as the organisers.

You've said before how you've been an elite runner, international, so I'm assuming you run the shortest lines in such races, following most of these trods, adding to the erosion, and not following the man made paths which could take you around a route like the Peris?

Here's an idea, if you care so much why not bow out from the sport..
    Last edited by IainR; 15-03-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I live in one of the most spectacular valleys in the country. Traffic is normal at the weekends. It's a price I pay for living where I do.

For one day a year running means my road is shut and I can't use my car. For one other day a year the village is almost impassable due to another race.

I don't mind at all. Even before I ran those race I didn't care.

I get TOLD my road is shut. No choices. But I know these races bring money to the valley, just like the Anni Waltz.

Good to see people happy and fit. Could be worse, could be a moaning old so and so eh?

As a local impacted on by such races, I agree with Al.
    You should see what happens on the Isle of Man when the TT is on. It's all good.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

[quote=Yorkshire Thug;315819]Al,

Yorkshire Thug... in the real world - with a real name.... are you a race organiser??
    if so you will choose how you run your race...
    our racers are not the only ones to use these hills.
    the only time we caused any damage... (the scar on catbells) we offered to reseed it and tape it to let it rest, and we have avoided that bit since.
    we are responsible race organisers and i take exception to your comment thay we are irresponsible.
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills