Thread: Rannulph Fiennes

Rannulph Fiennes

I'm heading to see him tonight on one of his "a night with...." dates.

Don't know much about it, whether it's just a talk/lecture, or videos, photos, etc.

Hoping it will be interesting. I know of some of his feats, but will be nice to hopefully learn some more details.

Will report back.

Forgot about this. Was a great evening.

He came on with little fanfare and just spoke with some photos for a total period of a good 90 mins split with an interval.

I actually found the first half where he talked about his school and SAS days to be more interesting... probably because these are less well-known than his famed exploits.

Talked very well and very self-depreciating and dry sense of humour. There was also a pre organised audience q&a at the end which was interesting.

Was it value for money...? My initial thoughts were 28 quid is a lot of money, but compared to say a premier league football match it's great value.

Someone perhaps even more inspirational and with less 'near disaster' outings would be Geoff Somers MBE. His book 'Antarctica The Impossible Crossing?' an account of the first and only traverse of the greatest axis of the Antarctic, is an extraordinary read. Rannulph did a snowmobile crossing of about 2250 miles during his circumnavigation of Earth via the poles, certainly a epic, the five others with Geoff, as the ITAE team did the full 3758 miles, on foot/ski, with dogs. He did a talk a few weeks ago, no fee, but donations to Mountain Rescue, now that is a modest man!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Super Moderator
    Thanks Chris for heads-up on Geoff; sounds a decent bloke

undercover moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Forgot about this. Was a great evening.
    Did he stay awake for the whole thing?

DT, he is quite unassuming, hates fuss and social gathering, his book is (at the moment) a self funded 'proof only' edition. Bookends in Keswick and George Fisher are his only outlets as it has no isbn reference yet. Although the crossing was done in 1990 (July '89 until March '90), it wasn't until 2016 that he found the time to put pen to paper from his diaries, and then getting the proof edition printed in 2017.
    A circular route mostly downhill