Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carnethy 5 Scald Law Race

Re: Carnethy 5 Scald Law Race

I was watching the adventure show on BBC iplayer yesterday and they sad on next months show the were doing a feature on the Carnethy race. Can't find a broadcast date tho, guessing it'll be 22 March..

keep an eye on http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0071mxr they are supposed to update this with the broadcast dates two weeks beforehand. On past performance it's been every four weeks which should make it the 22nd right enough, however, BBC Scotland have been known to shuffle it around the schedules with little advertising

Scott

I am looking for someone to select the Junior Championship races for the next few years.

As you have very specific views on what is required, perhaps you would like to take on this job for me?

Of course there are some limitations, like they can't all be in the Lake District, they should be spread out through the year etc.

What do you think?

could the junior champs not have a type of format the same as the seniors, with long and short courses, or is there specific laws to what distance we can run?

Two things:

1. There are very strict rules for distances that Juniors can run. This isn't really a problem for older age groups, but is quite restricting for U14s and below. This makes it difficult to include long/short races as per the Seniors. This year I am encouraging organisers to make the Championship races tough. Anniversary Wa and Viking Chase certainly lived up to that last year. Shutlingsloe is a short race for adults, so I am hoping they will put at least the U18s on that course. The new race in Ambleside will probably go up Wansfell somehow. The Darwen race will have quite long courses, and I think Coiners is a reasonable length too.

2. There are limited numbers of Junior races that can host a Championship event. They have to provide races from U8 up to U18, which is 6 races.

People do like to put on new Junior Races, but if we move the race away after just one year, then they do not haev the chance to learn from their experiences, and may have forgotten what they learnt if we go back 3 years later.

I would like to have a rolling 5 year plan, where each race is allocated a 3 year slot, so that they can plan ahead.

This wouldn't take much setting up, and it would be reasonably easy to keep it rolling on. However, it is one of the very many things I haven't had time to do.

So, if Scott, or anyone else, would like to take this one, I would be grateful.

Master

There are junior races at saddleworth this year maybe they could e considered i have an idea of the course. Very hard yet fast

Will Shuttlingsloe u16/u18 include a climb further than the u12's this year then?
    Up the mighty Wharfedale 'arriers!

The Adventure Show serves up a high adrenaline shot of the Scottish outdoors scene. Join Dougie Vipond and the team as they take in the best adventure sports and recreational fun to be found in Scotland.
    Sunday 5 April 2009, 1830, BBC Two Scotland

It's fast, it's furious and this year it was also muddy and snowy. That didn't stop almost 500 people from finishing the Carnethy 5 hill race in the Pentland Hills, south of Edinburgh.
    Also in the programme Cameron McNeish makes a winter assent of one of Scotland's most iconic mountains and we go ski mountaineering with the legendary Martin Burrows-Smith.

Satellite tv viewers can watch BBC Two Scotland elsewhere in the UK on Freesat (channel 970) or Sky (990).