Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Castleton Beacon

Castleton Beacon

Anybody else do this? Deep melting snow, ice and rushing meltwater and the most angular and awkward of rocks half submerged in the slipperiest yellow mud. Freezing feet for the whole run.
    Good value!
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Re: Castleton Beacon

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    Anybody else do this? Deep melting snow, ice and rushing meltwater and the most angular and awkward of rocks half submerged in the slipperiest yellow mud. Freezing feet for the whole run.
    Good value!
    I was up that way on Sunday GD but the start time was a bit early for me under the circumstances. As a matter of interest have you any idea why the race stops short of the beacon itself as I understand it used to go that far ?

I've no idea mate but I noticed that. You missed a real grueller!
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

I did the race on Sunday, I have never run over that kind of stuff before (deep snow and iced streams) but it was so much fun. Got one or two bruises now though. Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    Good value!
    I was there too. It was the worst underfoot conditions I've experienced! Thought I was going to lose a few toes by the end. Couldn't believe how deep that stream was, hardly noticed it last year, almost thigh deep and I'm 6' 4''. Felt sorry for the little person who followed me in
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

I Did This Also ,tough Going At Start But Some Fast Bits As Well,fun Running Down That Stream/ Path. Think I Was 24th? Cant Find Results..

Quote Originally Posted by owmeknee View Post
    I Did This Also ,tough Going At Start But Some Fast Bits As Well,fun Running Down That Stream/ Path. Think I Was 24th? Cant Find Results..
    Hi

Results will be here, probably in a few days time http://www.nym.ac/
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Nice One .keep An Eye Out...

Hi i also did the run , it is a deceptively tough run specially with all the deep slush .today i have bought some knee sealskins to use in these conditions has any one else used them?. will probably use them on sun at ilkley moor fell race. The problem i find with numb feet ankles is i loose agility on tricky bits
    cheers

Funny enough, i wore my Sealskin socks for the first time at Castleton. They kept my feet warm, however they did soak up quite a bit of water. It is very difficult to fit your fell shoes on top of the socks so i wore my trail shoes.

I wish i had worn these socks when i did a recce of the Kielder Borderer a couple of weeks back. I still have a bit numbness in me big toe from the cold...