Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How good are sports drinks?

How good are sports drinks?

Just been sent this and thought the rest of you forumites might be interested. It concerns Lucozade sport mainly but some of the bit & pieces you get crop up in other drinks too. See what you think.

http://theecologist.org/pages/archiv...ontent_id=2055

Re: How good are sports drinks

interesting article, thanks

"Large infusions of simple sugars can have a dramatic effect on insulin levels and lead to depression and anxiety. They also wreak havoc on the immune system. Studies show that the body’s immune response is dulled almost immediately after ingesting simple sugars."

this bit makes me feel worried

I have heard of a brand that has no artificial flavours or additives in it....Torq

having said all that, thundering up and down hills isn't without risk to the body either

as someone who has suffered with anxiety and depression, fell running, including the energy drinks I use during it is the best antidote to it

Quote Originally Posted by trilathon View Post
    interesting article, thanks

"Large infusions of simple sugars can have a dramatic effect on insulin levels and lead to depression and anxiety. They also wreak havoc on the immune system. Studies show that the body’s immune response is dulled almost immediately after ingesting simple sugars."

this bit makes me feel worried

I have heard of a brand that has no artificial flavours or additives in it....Torq

having said all that, thundering up and down hills isn't without risk to the body either

as someone who has suffered with anxiety and depression, fell running, including the energy drinks I use during it is the best antidote to it
    Thing is, I've known about sugar and the immune system for a long time but I can't resist a spoon in my cuppa! OK in moderation I suppose....

As for the "toxic" additives (e.g. aspartame), they're bloomin' frightening - all you have to do is find some studies in the web to see that they're anything but good for you. I use a brand that doesn't have too many of them in (Viper from Maximuscle).

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Just been sent this and thought the rest of you forumites might be interested. It concerns Lucozade sport mainly but some of the bit & pieces you get crop up in other drinks too. See what you think.
    Utterly barmy web page, classic scare-mongering stuff. Tells you everything is bad for you. It's rather scraping the barrel when it says that Maltodextrins may be bad as they're probably GM, the artificial sweetners are cancerous, and breathing in printers fumes containing Acacia Gum causes Asthma...

If it stuck to just one topic it might be OK, but it goes completely scatter gun and attacks everything, probably in the hope that if you throw enough mud some of it might stick.

Hello Joe!

Not saying that I agree with all of it... but there is substantial body of evidence that sugar has a negative effect on the ol' immune system by affecting hormone levels and raising insulin levels.

Plus there seem to be question marks about things like aspartame, which is now considered to be a "non nutritive sweetener". Go figure.

Still, after a stiff run out/race there's nowt as good as a sports drink to give you a lift!

Really interesting read.

All these new-fangled products are massively, and cleverly, overmarketed.

You'll rarely find a definitive claim that's objectively measurable in their literature: "increases performance", "reduces wrinkles", "plumps collagen", "makes you feel better", "good bacteria" and on and on - it's all just marketing guff based on a complete lack of scientific verifiability.

The irony is that the critical article is just as bad - it gives no sources of the studies it "quotes" and says that it won't give references due to lack of space. I hadn't heard that the internet was short of space - another scare story coming along?!

All that leaves me somewhat confused. All I know is that I ran PPPs on flapjack and bananas and struggled for energy, but on Tanky's I had a Luco Sport and a couple of SIS gels and flew (for me!).

I find all this fascinating.

Don't forget jelly babies!

Don't forget jelly babies!
    Oh, and that fig roll...

I've been using the Torq drinks for a while, i find them good. I tried the gells, but couldn't get along with them.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Still, after a stiff run out/race there's nowt as good as a sports drink to give you a lift!
    i find a pint does the trick