Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will fruit make me fat?

Master and MR

Re: Will fruit make me fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    But doesn't most fruit have a high GI? I'm trying to keep to a low GI at the moment so that I convert from a sugar burner to a fat burner. The only fruits alllowed in the plan are berries and avocado.
    wheeze you are kiddin

Nope, deadly serious Daz.
    Since going on a low GI diet, I have gone through a shocking phase of feeling ill, wobbly, headachy and completely bonking when I tried my normal training run. It lasted a few days but now, a week later, I feel normal again, I can run 11 miles with no probs and did my circuit session tonight completely normally. In the last week, I have had no pasta, rice, potato, bread, anything sugary, any of the usual fruits. It was shit for a few days and now I fell just fine.
    Last edited by Wheeze; 06-03-2007 at 12:05 AM.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

What do you eat then?

I was up at 6am this morning, peeling lots of fruit for a mid morning snack, and guess what .... i'm sat at my desk, hungry and the fruit is on my kitchen table

fruit is bobbins for filling you up anyway Sarah!

It usually keeps my hunger pangs at bay for ooooo 6-7 mins

Yes me too - i find chocolate muffins are much better

Quote Originally Posted by Calf View Post
    fruit is bobbins for filling you up anyway Sarah!

It usually keeps my hunger pangs at bay for ooooo 6-7 mins
    Yes this is true, anyway all's well that ends well, I had a huge danish instead

Margarine,
    I eat dairy products, eggs, meats, nuts, green veg, salads, fish. There are lots of wholesome recipes using these tasty ingredients. Essentially a high protein, high fat diet. the key is to keep the blood sugar low. If you allow a rapid spike in blood sugar, 2 things happen. First, you store fat instead of burn it and second, the insulin response from the pancreas goes into overdrive to push the blood sugar back down but it overshoots so you feel hungry again very quickly.
    By eating the foods in my allowed list, I keep the blood sugar level correctly low, I don't store fat and I don't get hunger pangs. In fact I feel full most of the time.
    Coming off a sugar/starch diet is like any drug withdrawal. You have pangs at first and then you realise you are fine without them. It took alot for me to do this, I can tell you. But after a week, I am over the worst and am starting to feel benefits. I sleep so much better. I feel less lethargic or slobby.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Margarine,
    I eat dairy products, eggs, meats, nuts, green veg, salads, fish. There are lots of wholesome recipes using these tasty ingredients. Essentially a high protein, high fat diet. the key is to keep the blood sugar low. If you allow a rapid spike in blood sugar, 2 things happen. First, you store fat instead of burn it and second, the insulin response from the pancreas goes into overdrive to push the blood sugar back down but it overshoots so you feel hungry again very quickly.
    By eating the foods in my allowed list, I keep the blood sugar level correctly low, I don't store fat and I don't get hunger pangs. In fact I feel full most of the time.
    Coming off a sugar/starch diet is like any drug withdrawal. You have pangs at first and then you realise you are fine without them. It took alot for me to do this, I can tell you. But after a week, I am over the worst and am starting to feel benefits. I sleep so much better. I feel less lethargic or slobby.

How do you know your blood sugar is low
    sorry to appear dumb - I know about the sugar 'highs' after a bar of chocolate say and the fact that it's not a good thing (damn them for making it taste so nice)
    I try to eat healthily but my levels of hunger depend on how much i've done too.
    I had a huge breakfast of oats, nuts, seeds, raisins, banana, goji berries etc but after the gym and by 12 was starvin again.
    Lunch was a whole malt loaf (with butter ) poached eggs on brown bread (toasted) and a yoghurt and I'm now really hungry again

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    Yes me too - i find chocolate muffins are much better
    And they are much more fun

The name of a muffin if eaten immediately before, after or during sex. This muffin is usually shared at the breakfast table or in bed after or during a long night of fornication.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker