Thread: Rock and Ice Ultra

Rock and Ice Ultra

Need something to keep me honest over the next year so am planning on signing up for the 2010 edition of this race www.rockandiceultra.com . Want to do the Full Monty 255km Diamond Ultra. Have any forumites done this race or any other ultras under Arctic (bloody cold -40C, on snow/ice and pulling sledge) conditions? If so can I pick their brains?

Re: Rock and Ice Ultra

mandatory kit list includes glow stick and Firestarter.

Got a flyer in with my latest delivery from likeys, it looks quite interesting, not doen anything like this but I do know a few people who have travelled with pulks in Greenland, I believe its hard work!

Have you read Geoff Roes' blog, he's doing the Iditarod in Alaska on foot again this year, starts tomorrow. Some his posts from preparing for the race last year go into a fair bit of detail about kit choice for running in cold conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    mandatory kit list includes glow stick and Firestarter.
    Glow stick? Prodigy track? sounds like a 90's rave revival!

Quote Originally Posted by jumbly View Post
    Have you read Geoff Roes' blog, he's doing the Iditarod in Alaska on foot again this year, starts tomorrow. Some his posts from preparing for the race last year go into a fair bit of detail about kit choice for running in cold conditions.
    cheers for that

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post
    Got a flyer in with my latest delivery from likeys, it looks quite interesting, not doen anything like this but I do know a few people who have travelled with pulks in Greenland, I believe its hard work!
    Have just returned this weekend from organising the 6633 Ultra. Daily reports can be seen here - http://www.6633ultra.com/results%202009.html
    Photos will be uploaded shortly.

There are 2 races, both non stop. The shorter one is 120 miles, whilst the longer wobble is 350 miles long.

Both races cross the line of the Arctic Circle after 23 miles and then continue Northwards with the shorter event finishing at the Native Hamlet of Fort McPherson, whilst the longer event has a 130 mile long Ice Road section at the end finishing on the banks of the Arctic Ocean.

Lots of ultras claim to be the toughest, but this is the real McCoy and had been recognised by the National Geographic as one of the top ten toughest events of its kind.

There is no commercial interest in organising this event (in fact I lose money every year). I purely organise it because I love ultra running and flippin adore the Arctic and its an absolute pleasure to share the wonderful Yukon and Northwest Territories in Canada with other like minded souls.

The race has attracted quite a bit of interest in America this year, but regardless of the interest that might be forthcoming, the entry will be limited to a maximum of just 20 athletes - partly for safety reasons, but primarily because I want to retain the nature of the 6633 Ultra (including the events preceding and following the race) as a small friendly event.

I know I am biased, but if you are looking for a wobble in the Arctic, this might just be what you are looking for, albeit, it is as tough as it gets. Ony 4 people have managed to reach the Arctic Ocean in 3 years (3 in 2007, 0 in 2008 and just 1 in 2009)

Details for 2010 will be live shortly

Cheers
    Martin