Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racing flats, just for elite ?

Re: Racing flats, just for eli

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    There is a growing body of opinion (to which i tentatively subscribe) that suggests not only can we all use racing flats but that we would run faster and suffer less injury if we did so.

The way in which we differ is how careful we need to be in making the change to flats. A light, neutral, forefoot runner will adapt very easily, a heavy heelstriker will require more time and commitment.

I've recently been shifting from years of using Nike Pegasus (neutral/cushioned) to racing flats. It's taken 3-4 months but i now run up to 40 miles a week in flats. As a result i chopped 3 mins off my 10k PB today with a stinking cold (and tbh i'm not much of a road runner; i'm only doing the road mileage at present 'cos the short daylight is keeping me off the fells mid-week)

I'm convinced that gait analysis is a complete waste of time and money. All it will tell you is how your running style has adapted to the shoes that you already use. I appreciate many will disagree, and that's their prerogative. I would say; don't knock it if you havent tried it. Get some cheap racing flats (Nike Mayfly are about £25) and give it a go. Keep it short at first, concentrate on getting up on your toes and allowing your foot to flex properly (think 'prancing'!). Keep an open mind and see how it goes
    AndyA is a man after my own heart. I'm 6' and 14 stone, but all my road running/racing is done in Inov8 f-lite 230's with no ill effects. This is after years of going through a cycle of running/injury/running/injury etc using Nike Pegsus (nooooo) and Asics Cumulus (even bigger nooooo) because I believed the hype of shoe technology.

And then when you've got as far as running in flats try taking them off and running barefoot to really strengthen your feet! Its the way ahead I tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    And then when you've got as far as running in flats try taking them off and running barefoot to really strengthen your feet! Its the way ahead I tell you!
    Hmmm, let me think about that (pauses to continue levering dogcr@p off sole of his f-lite's)

Actually, i do have a pair of VFF, which i have used a bit, but not yet seriously enough. Most of my training is fell based and VFF/barefoot just doesn't cut it. I should try them for my tuesday night hill session though (approx 10miles/2000' on tarmac).

I agree, the lighter and flatter for racing, the better. Been running since 1978 and trainers in particular have got much fatter, more over-engineered and much more expensive over the years. It's sometimes hard to feel the road at all.

All my road PBs have been run in Nike Mayflys.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

How about these for racing flats? Morgan D at the Llangnhafal Loop!!! I asked at the end of the race if he had another pair like these and he said no! Specials donated by Innov8 apparently.

http://www.wfra.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    How about these for racing flats? Morgan D at the Llangnhafal Loop!!!
    I asked at the end of the race if he had another pair like these and he said no!
    The pair he is wearing are orange and green. The other pair he has at home are different.
    They are green and orange!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    How about these for racing flats? Morgan D at the Llangnhafal Loop!!! I asked at the end of the race if he had another pair like these and he said no! Specials donated by Innov8 apparently.
    http://www.wfra.org.uk/
    The shoes Morgan has is the X-Talon 190, its our 1 arrow midsole with a X-Talon sticky rubber studded sole. Red in attached photo
    There is a road version coming that has the same minimalist midsole ( 1 arrow) but with the F-Lite sticky sole. Black in the photo
    Last edited by Inov-8 Insider; 31-03-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Now those i like!!

It really shows how road and fell shoes do not need to be so different; the only visible difference (apart the excellent fell shoe colour; won't last long round here unfortunately) is a toe protector and the tread on the bottom.

Of course the downside to that (for Inov-8's bottom line) is that when my orange fell shoes have no studs left, i'll just switch them to road running instead! (i may have mentioned the coming from yorkshire thing before!)