Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you earn a crust?

How do you earn a crust?

Been running for a couple of years now and finding work is constantly snapping at my heels - so getting less and less time to train nevermind race!

Just wondering what jobs other Forumities do and how they manage the work / life balance - do you have one?

Yours ponderingly

Jobs (pretty woman) Worth

Master

Re: How do you earn a crust?

I work Flexi-time and get my 37.5 hrs in over 4 days, and refuse overtime (the money would be nice but there is more to life than money) therefor i get fridays off for my long run.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I am a teacher and despite what many think I work long hours. Leave home at 6 am and usually get back at 6pm. Just spent all weekend with kids from school on outward bound weekend in Tod. Therefore I don't find much time to run. Having my own 2 kids means I do far less running than I want or need. The only way I get runs in mid-week is to take running gear and run part of the way home.
    30 years and still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobs Worth View Post
    Been running for a couple of years now and finding work is constantly snapping at my heels - so getting less and less time to train nevermind race!

Just wondering what jobs other Forumities do and how they manage the work / life balance - do you have one?

Yours ponderingly

Jobs (pretty woman) Worth
    I jacked in working full-time... and insteaded opted to work as a part-time Postman, the hours i currently do are great... but Royal Mail in there infinate wisdom want to upset the applecart ... so who knows what my future holds???
    I might even have to go and get a full-time job somewhere else .

Hey! if you think your getting your post delivered late now... just wait... as it's going to get even worse... YES... WORSE!!

and this at a time when we're trying to fight of rival postal companies...

We had a survey on the old forum and established that all fell runners are teachers except for those who aren't.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Great replies and kinda confirmed my thoughts - thanks, i think!

BJ - it sucks if you're saying i need to be a teacher - 2 out of 3 immediate family members are and i'd never swallow my pride enough to join their class!

JLH - You'll have to stamp out their proposals to review your hours of work - sounds like you've got a 1st class job at the mo...

LA Flexi-time sounds good, but in reality is it not a bit mundane - anybody?

JK - I like the sound of a 4 day week - based on 37.5 hrs, i'd get to finish at 9.30am every thursday!

Thanks - anybody else??
    Last edited by Jobs Worth; 04-03-2007 at 08:15 PM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jobs Worth View Post
    Great replies and kinda confirmed my thoughts - thanks, i think!

LA Flexi-time sounds good, but in reality is not a bit mundane - anybody?

JK - I like the sound of a 4 day week - based on 37.5 hrs, i'd get to finish at 9.30am every thursday!

Flexi time works for me but yes work in general is mundane that`s why i get it out of the way in four days
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Flexi is great . I get to run @lunch & take 3 afternoons off & one full day off every 4 weeks......work sucks though .
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Master and MR

i was a welder last week
    but now im a bit higher up
    if it all works out okay our house will soon be payed off and i will do part time
    def more to life than money
    more you earn , more you spend

Quote Originally Posted by Brummy John View Post
    We had a survey on the old forum and established that all fell runners are teachers except for those who aren't.
    or like me an ex! used to teach at local college, but the hours were crap and so was the place. ditched the job, working on my house, letting the dragon work, and when i wish, nip out for a trot.

i guess it makes me pretty lucky, (not rich!) but sod it, at least getting much fitter!
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.