Sidelined at moment whilst recovering from knee arthroscopy.Had patellar chondromalacia/patellofemoral joint pain and effusion intermittent, but worsening over last 8 years.Relatively sudden deterioration last October.Stopped running, as pain at lateral patella with every step.Rest,conservative rehab followed,but everything got worse.Op finding on Weds. was a 1cm diameter hole(down to subchondral bone) under lateral facet of patella.....i.e I've managed to wear away 5mm cartilage.Gone forever.
In my defence, I would say that most of my running has been relatively painfree over the years.I've averaged about 20 miles/week, or equivalent training, over 10 years, and also go rock, ice,Scottish winter and alpine climbing very regularly.Occasional rucsac-humping mountainous backpacking.For work I'm a rural vet surgeon, so constantly on feet(and knees) wrestling with unwilling large patients.
I've no intention of stopping anything! I'm 42, and want to continue for another 15-20 years,minimum.
No hiding from medical fact that if I don't apply my knowledge and common sense to the usual fellrunners' "Carry on regardless...",then I won't be going far for very long
Just wonder if there's anyone else out there who's either been through the same thing, or is a health professional who runs,whose treated anyone like me?
I'm only interested in what running/climbing has been managed,longterm, and whether patellofemoral arthritis has set in, big time.
Got a superb consultant, so don't need treatment/rehab advice.
This is quite a common runners problem, and I'm sure there's plenty of lunatics like myself that don't want to take it lying down!!
Your histories,please,folks?