Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eating on an ultra

maddaddy

eating on an ultra

I am planning on longer races and not sure what sort of food I should take. I usually take energy gells and flapjacks and water. But reading up on longer stuff there is talk of electrolytes, sodium, potassium and so on.Any suggestions or recommendations? One thing I don't like is energy drinks. I need to sustain myself for at least 8 hours!!Many thanks

Re: eating on an ultra

Most ultra races provide food stops so its more about snacks. The fellsman for instance is all about eating at food stops... with running bits in between

It's very individual, this. I'd find it really hard to eat flapjacks when running although they're great energy food. I have used gels but don't like them. I used to love fruit leather bars (compressed fruit) - easy to carry, eat, digest etc but can't find them anymore. Jelly babies are always a favourite. What don't you like about enery drinks? They're the easiest way to get electrolytes in. I use SIS Go or Mountain Fuel but in long ones I usually have a dioralyte sachet beforehand also to make sure electrolyte levels are up. You need 30 - 60g carbohydrate per hour after the first hour as a rule and, if memory serves (check this one) 200mg Sodium - salted nuts might be good in this regard which I do but not peanuts. I find peanuts can give me bad stomach cramps which I don't get with other nuts and I've heard others say the same. I'm tryiing out Sports Beans tomorrow. Key thing is find out what works for you and practise eating on the run - and don't change anything on the day of the event.

Quote Originally Posted by maddaddy View Post
    I am planning on longer races and not sure what sort of food I should take. I usually take energy gells and flapjacks and water. But reading up on longer stuff there is talk of electrolytes, sodium, potassium and so on.Any suggestions or recommendations? One thing I don't like is energy drinks. I need to sustain myself for at least 8 hours!!Many thanks
    Hi, MD, Sylvia Watson (see p.69 spring issue of The Fellrunner) recently lent me Dec 2011 Athletics Weekly, there is an article by Chris Carver where he 'outlines the nutrition strategy for longer distances' - it is quite interesting. I will scan and email and/or post to you if you like, PM me if you wish. Sarah
    a rush and a push and the land is ours

On the HPM and training for it I found carbo powder in my water, peanut butter and jam wholemeal rolls and pork pies worked a treat, along with caffeine gels and the odd mars bar.

Experiment in training with different foods to find out what you like, crave, can stomach
    Nigel's already said this in more detail, sorry mate, missed it earlier.
    Last edited by stevefoster; 10-03-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    Hills and Guinness!

Nuun tablets are ace for fending off cramps! For the longer stuff I've done, which is limited, its been energy bars/flapjacks or similar. Trek bars from that well known highstreet health food chain...who's name aludes me. Also the gels etc. Some people do recommend eating fairly normal stuff, sarnies, bagels, crisps etc.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

I'm with Nigel on this (though I've only done a handful of over 5 hour jobbies). You have to find out what suits you and the only way is to try different regimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Most ultra races provide food stops so its more about snacks. The fellsman for instance is all about eating at food stops... with running bits in between
    Um, I've done quite a few ultras (5 last year) and I've never been in a race that's provided food so I'm not sure that "most" is entirely accurate.

I was using shot bloks on the Hobble, they're like jelly squares of energy gel, easy to eat and full of the electrolytes you need, you might find them more palatable than gels.