Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worn out knee cartilage..

Re: Worn out knee cartilage..

Quote Originally Posted by weak-at-knee View Post
    As a warning, if you have symptoms of patellofemoral pain, seek professional help.Follow recommendations.If you get recurrent swelling/aching- mine was very intermittent and only occurred under heavy loads, and wasn't a big deal, to be honest- take it v. seriously and seek more help from another professional source, until you get to the bottom of the problem- hopefully before you get to the base of your cartilage!
    After 2 years of knee pain, a stop/start comeback to fell running and lots of phyio, stretching and strengthening. Im now going to arrange for a scan i think.

Not good reading and it sounds like what you felt 8 years ago is how I feel now.

Jamie

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    After 2 years of knee pain, a stop/start comeback to fell running and lots of phyio, stretching and strengthening. Im now going to arrange for a scan i think.

Not good reading and it sounds like what you felt 8 years ago is how I feel now.

Jamie
    Grim reading Jamie. Very best of luck mate
    Poacher turned game-keeper

how are yours knees these days pal

Super Moderator

how are yours knees these days pal
    They're not perfect but are a million times better than they were summer of 2008. It's a bit random. Sometimes after a long hilly run they're fine but they were sore after Burnsall. I'll be intersted to see how they cope in New Year with increased time on feet but more importantly ascent and descent. In fairness I've spent a lot of time doing squats etc to build up my quads in the last eighteen months or so and will continue on ongoing basis

4 knee ops (3 left,1 right) all before the age of 22.All cartilage trims.
    iirc you have 4 knuckles of cartilage on each knee,so if one has worn down doesn't mean you have none left.
    I have a friend who was part of an NHS team developing a way of growing cartilage and attaching it to the trimmed cartilage you have had operated on.This was state of the art stuff that would have been a first in this field.However he had to leave as his 9k a year wage was not paying the bills.Despite good progress the funding was pulled and it longer exists.

Super Moderator

Jamie
    Any news Jamie?

Not enquired yet pal,

I have no leave at work and dont want to take numerous appointments off as sick. Ill hang fire and keep going with physio.

Had a big week of doing my physio exercises 25mins twice a day everyday and knee is quiet sore. Am I doing something wrong folks.

Im good though pal, getting plenty of exercise in the pool and in my canoe. I have decided cycling is not working for me, it was fine whilst out riding but very painful for a few days after. I only did an hour Uhm

Im taking heed of Weak-at-knees advice and I'm going to keep cracking on with exercises. Even it it takes till april when the short evening road races start. Is something to aim for eh.

Are you at David Staff this weekend matey?

Speak soon

Jamie

Have only just seen this thread, but it may be of some comfort to those who have been suffering that I had an arthroscopy 20years ago after 30 years of running up to 180 miles a week which revealed a hole in the patella and femoral cartilege worn to the bone. Knee replacement was discussed, but I decide against it, started taking Glucosamine (before it was freely available to the general public) and started running again. As long as I didn't do more than an hour about three times a week the level of pain was well worth the pleasure I got from running. And now, 20 years later, I'm still taking the Glucosamine ( now with Chondroitin) and the level of pain is no worse. I've also managed to race sparingly - and I'm sure my age group rivals would admit - fairly successfully.

I'm 53 and have been running between 25 to 35 miles a week for the last 25 years - and for the last 15 years most of it off road/fells. It has been a massive part of my life.
    I had two cartilage operations on my left knee about 18 years ago and one on my right 11 years ago, but my knees were reasonably OK until around three years ago when I started to have intermittent problems with my left knee. I had a scan which was inconclusive and decided against an athroscopy at the time.
    I had a good first 9 months last year - including the Three Peaks Race but in September started to get more pain in the knee and went back to see the consultant. I went in hoping that it was more cartilage trouble that he could sort out or that I would need some general 'clean-up', but he is X-Rayed and said I needed to stop running straightaway as I had worn out the cartilage completely.
    I was absolutely gutted by this and still am ! I haven't stopped running but have cut down to twice a week and started mountain biking. I have some pain when I run but its not that bad but I really don't know what to do next. I desperately don't want to give it up - I'm not even sure I can, it has been such a huge part of my life, but I don't want to end up not being able to do anything.
    I'm not sure what response I'm seeking to this post - it's the first one I've ever done but I'd be interested in any suggestions.

Not great reading Grandad, especially for someone who has knee aches.

Have you ever thought of other sports, I have started Canoeing, its okay but not fell running. I do race and there is a definate crossover of Fell runners as I have met lots of active or ex runners at canoe races.

Think what i am trying to say is there are other sports, I certainly wont be the medium-high mileage runner I once was, twice a week for me its enough.

Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 27-01-2010 at 04:11 PM.