Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Midgley Moor

Midgley Moor-31 March

was thinking of doing this, whats it like? is the course and cp fairly easy to follow/find?

cheers

Banned

Re: Midgley Moor-31 March

It is a good race but there are some route choices that can shave a few seconds off the time if you dare to follow them. (Mostly through heather some deeper than others)

It's a great little race, and if you've ever done the Reservoir Bogs race you'll be familiar with some of the terrain. Starting up over fields near Booth Cricket Club, you soon get into a single file which straggles along very faint paths through heather and takes in Crow Hill, Churn Milk Joan and the Sheepstones trig before picking up clearer paths to Dimmin Dale and dropping via Goose Green to Spa Woods. You then have a second climb back up to the moor edge (Pasture) on the return. There's always divided opinion about best routes from here, as choice is allowed. Personally, I go for the option which involves marginally less heather-yomping, and uses a short section of the Calderdale Way.
    Route finding shouldn't be a problem, unless you're planning to sprint off in front of the field. Unless it's foggy, it's a bit of a follow-my-leader with everyone strung out in a line and you should find that there's always someone in sight. (Famous last words...)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    There's always divided opinion about best routes from here, as choice is allowed. Personally, I go for the option which involves marginally less heather-yomping, and uses a short section of the Calderdale Way.
    (Famous last words...)
    I agree with your findings Tussockface, I had a jog round on Friday and the paths appear longer but quicker than the direct routes through the heather.
    I did discover what I thought might be a couple of short section that might save a coule of seconds but I will probably follow the field on the day.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I agree with your findings Tussockface, I had a jog round on Friday and the paths appear longer but quicker than the direct routes through the heather.
    I did discover what I thought might be a couple of short section that might save a coule of seconds but I will probably follow the field on the day.
    I've run this one a few times and it's always been quicker to take to the heather after a while between cps 2 and 3 rather than follow the path all the way round. A good line through the heather to cp 6 is important.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I've run this one a few times and it's always been quicker to take to the heather after a while between cps 2 and 3 rather than follow the path all the way round. A good line through the heather to cp 6 is important.
    It was tough going on Friday unless it was me who was not following a good line?
    I will wait and see on the day David.

Wink Re: Midgley Moor-31 March

I'm marshalling the Dimmin Dale checkpoint on Saturday and will watch with interest the lines that people take. Do note however that the checkpoint is at the wall corner and I'm under strict instructions to make sure no-one takes a short cut! In other words, get back to the path before the descent, pass by me, and ensure you get your number taken. Forumites, identify yourselves with a shout of "Forum, Tussockface!" and if not at my wit's end scribbling numbers, I'll respond with some suitably cheery greeting ("Hail, Citizen"? Unless, of course, it's actually hailing, in which case people might think I was rubbing it in.)

david

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    It was tough going on Friday unless it was me who was not following a good line?
    I've found the best route to cp 6 is to follow the wall until it drops off to the left and then head through the heather bearing slightly right. Cp 6 is at a stile but be careful as there are 2 stiles quite close together. Approaching through the heather you want the one on the right, if you choose the long route round on the track it's the second stile. One or two usually get disqualified for using the wrong stile .

Banned

Thanks David.
    I am suffering with a tender groin, so I am only pottering round but I intend to enjoy it anyway.

Ill be there, im looking forward to it Iv not raced for ages.

Have a good run.