Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Midgley Moor

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    Results from today: http://www.cvfr.co.uk/wp-content/upl...-moor-2016.pdf

Its a great race this.
    It is indeed a lovely race and has been since the first one in March 2000.

One of the aspects of fell running that I like is the sense of continuity ie you can't change too much or it just won't be the Midgley Moor race any more and I have been thinking about this in connection with my A Sense of Perspective coming soon in future Fellrunners!

"The FRA came into being in 1970 because of the vision ofa few people and the production of a modest list of races of around 40 races which was amended and supplemented during the year eg the Slaithwaite Band Carnival Race was added for September 1970 but, alas, it did not survive into 1971.

But other races there then are still here now: the majestic Ennerdale Horseshoe and the more humble Eldwick Gala, the Three Peaks Race and Thieveley Pike, and others. Reflecting on races that have lasted the distance, such as Fairfield, must surely evoke a reassuring sense of continuity; race organisers come and go but the races, the races, remain the same". (extract)

On other words, the Fairfield Horseshoe started back in 1966 and it just feels good to me that in 2016 fell runners can set off running (pretty much) over the same country as their fathers.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 27-02-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Nice touch Graham.
    Thank you.

My first go at this one tomorrow, looking forward to it as per!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Results: http://www.cvfr.co.uk/wp-content/upl...oor-2017-1.pdf

Shame about the low turnout - I guess the weather forecast didn't help, though it wasn't actually too bad.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Thanks Bill. Impressive on your part to take the entries, run the race, win your age category and be back in time to mastermind all the results!

It was distinctly moist underfoot and my worst MM by far. I only narrowly avoided last place and would have been racing the sweeper had he not got lost and had to rescued by a marshal.

I can only partly blame my performance on having stopped off en route to use the Halifax Parkrun as a warm-up. I think at some point I'll have to bite the bullet and actually begin to practise running up hills.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

I'm not sure anyone else from the forum was at the Midgley Moor race on Sunday, but I find it fascinating to see the multiple different routes on the final moor crossing, even in perfect visibility.
    And these are only from those people who sign up for Strava Flyby.

midgleymoor.jpg
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    I'm not sure anyone else from the forum was at the Midgley Moor race on Sunday, but I find it fascinating to see the multiple different routes on the final moor crossing, even in perfect visibility.
    And these are only from those people who sign up for Strava Flyby.

midgleymoor.jpg
    Indeed. A super race I ran 9 times (and 4 x First Vet. since you ask).

Data like this reveals how clueless many runners are when there is no obvious path to follow: which is either amusing on a clear day or worrying on a claggy day.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Indeed. A super race I ran 9 times (and 4 x First Vet. since you ask).

Data like this reveals how clueless many runners are when there is no obvious path to follow: which is either amusing on a clear day or worrying on a claggy day.
    Well, having last done this in about 2020 and spending time milling about on the moor with a bunch of experienced fell runners - none of whom had a good idea about the quickest way back to the finish, we're off again tomorrow!
    So I've printed off a map and am going to set a bearing from the wall corner - hindsight is a wonderful thing!
    Going over with Mr Best and Mr Tait from Otley. Unfortunately Mr Tait has lost his mojo for racing (he is 77 and has done a bit) so will only be sitting on his laurels and taking the piss out of us!

Well; That was muddy underfoot, but apart from that conditions were superb. Old Age Pensioner team went over from Otley - combined age of 211 for the three of us. Lovely run with Colin going off faster than me, but his two navigational mistakes allowed me to steam past him! Honestly,68 yrs old - been fell running for years and he turned up with no Map! Well pleased to be almost a minute faster that 2020! Big thanks to CVFR and an excellent venue for talking bollox post race.