Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SealSkinz Socks

SealSkinz Socks

Has anybody tried these out. Do they work. What are they like to run in? Do you get blisters etc etc.
    After climbing a great hill one only finds that there are many more hills to climb ......

Re: SealSkinz Socks

Mine did work. They feel a bit strange initially, but I didn't get blisters or anything. I think I buggered mine up by washing them wrong. Second time I wore them they didn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Mine did work. They feel a bit strange initially, but I didn't get blisters or anything.
    I think I buggered mine up by washing them wrong.
    Second time I wore them they didn't work!
    Trust you to put your foot in it!

Yes they work! I used a pair when recceing the BGR in winter and always got back with warm, dry feet, even when running through slush and deep snow.

You need to make sure that you have a pair of shoes slightly bigger than normal as even the thin (medium?) ones are considerably thicker than normal socks.

I'm not impressed by them , still got wet feet althou warmer, pricey too.

I use a pair in winter, they are great in snow keep my feet a lot warmer but then I wear a thin pair of wool socks as liners.
    Too warm for summer though.
    I've had mine for three years now and I think they are on their way out I'll be getting a new pair for definite.

Bill

Use mine mainly for biking although have used them on a couple of occasions when running. As already pointed out they are thicker then normal socks which means you may have to squeeze your feet into your shoes.

You just need to be aware that if if your feet go too deep in water\bogs and water gets over the top of the SealSkinz inevitably it will get inside and then it has nowhere to escape so it can be a bit unpleasant!

I've got a pair and I think they are ok sometimes they leak sometimes they don't. Not the best when it goes over the top but then the water that sits inside gets warm. They do keep your feet alot dryer and warmer. Did a run through lots of mud the other day and they held out ok

There are two weights (thicknesses) of socks, originally a 'hiking' sock & 'cycling' sock. The cycling socks have been rebranded as 'light hiking' and are no thicker than monoskins so don't need larger shoes and they are just as waterproof.

Why on earth would anybody want to wear a waterproof sock?

Quote Originally Posted by SealSkinz®
    socks and gloves use a type of membrane called hydrophilic ("water loving"). Hydrophilic membranes are totally solid, without pores. It is therefore physically impossible for droplets of liquid water to pass through the membrane, however, it is breathable because water vapour molecules are transmitted from molecule to molecule through the membrane on the polymer chain and expelled on the other side. The driving forces are the differences in humidity and temperature between the atmospheres on each side of the film.

The internal climate, next to the skin, is hot and humid because the body is generating heat and moisture as it exercises. The external climate is much drier and cooler. Consequently water vapour is driven from the inside of the garment to the outside. As the foot gets hotter during an activity, so the film becomes more efficient at expelling moisture.

At about £20.00 per set of sock, I suggest you invest in a good pair of running shoes.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker