Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dogs and the BGR

Re: Dogs and the BGR

Is this the same Dave who went missing a while back?

I've abandoned my plan to do a BGR with Brown Dog, mainly cos i can't be arsed to do it myself until i'm a bit older. I'd love to hear how others get on though. I don't think enough dogs have done it for us to be able to judge how doable it is for various breeds/ages. I suspect 8 years might be pushing it a bit, but i suppose it depends on the dog. My approach was going to be to take the dog on all training runs and see how it fares. My worry was always that doing an actual attempt would make my brain turn vegetative to the point of not being able to make sound judgements about the welfare of the mutt.

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    . My worry was always that doing an actual attempt would make my brain turn vegetative to the point of not being able to make sound judgements about the welfare of the mutt.
    That's my concern. One of mine is clever enough to sit when tired, the other is a silly loyal collie who will run and run just to keep next to me and I think she'd kill herself. On a warm day black collie's really start to struggle.

PS: well done at Black Mountains, broke the Lee strangle hold on that trophy... :-)

Yes it's a tricky judgement at the best of times, let alone when your whole mind is taken up with just putting one foot in front of the other. I have to say though, last year Brown Dog did 3 legs of the BGR and was still trying to chase sheep coming off Robinson, plus did an extra leg round Keswick raiding the bins of various takeaway food establishments!

Thanks re: BMs, though have to say it would've been different matter if Jackie wasn't ill. My time was 5 mins slower than her best in the race.