Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs and the BGR

Re: Dogs and the BGR

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    I heard that too, shouldnt you be out on the town fighting.
    Wife wouldn't approve Al and she's usually tooled up so i tend to acquiesce
    Last edited by The Master; 20-03-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: apostrophe error....Al needs a good example

Dogs rule, ballbags drool
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    I'd love for my bog to run the round with me this year.
    Interesting!

Well I've had runs for the bog, been on runs through the bog, but never have I been on a run with the bog, or any bog for that matter.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    Does anyone out there know if records have been kept of how many dogs have done the BGR? And if so, what times they did!? I heard a rumour that 7 dogs have done it, all of them Border Collies. Please don't laugh- this is a serious question!! I want to have a go with my lurcher(s) next year
    Sorry to get back on topic, folks, but I just thought I should point out to Longdogs that you're not allowed to have 4 lurchers on leads pulling you up all those hills!!

Conan The Second, my Irish Wolfhound once ran 200 miles in a day when I lost him in the Lakes 6 months ago. Conan, I should point out weighed 90kgs recently, (until it was pointed out that I was feeding him the wrong type of dogfood!!) Now he's a svelt 60kg. I'd been walking at night when I lost him near Red Tarn I think. It was no fun after that so I decided to leave. I drove back to Hull pi$$ed off! Later that day, who should be sratching at my door, but dear old Conmeister General! I was over the moon. That's a fair trek now ain't ? In fact me overfeeding him aided him in his run, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by #bob# View Post
    Conan The Second, my Irish Wolfhound once ran 200 miles in a day when I lost him in the Lakes 6 months ago. Conan, I should point out weighed 90kgs recently, (until it was pointed out that I was feeding him the wrong type of dogfood!!) Now he's a svelt 60kg. I'd been walking at night when I lost him near Red Tarn I think. It was no fun after that so I decided to leave. I drove back to Hull pi$$ed off! Later that day, who should be sratching at my door, but dear old Conmeister General! I was over the moon. That's a fair trek now ain't ? In fact me overfeeding him aided him in his run, probably.
    Shaggy Dog Story?

How do you know someone didn't pick him up, read his tag, drive him to Hull and not wishing to be seen in such a place drop dog at the end of your road?

Longdogs, can I borrow Brown Dog for my BGR attempt next year? After you have done it with her? She can do the nav for me
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by #bob# View Post
    Irish Wolfhounds are well known for their tracking abilities, speed and stamina, and I'm sure would have had no problem following your distinctive scent down the fast lane of the M62. As you say yourself, it probably did your dog a world of good. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Sorry to get back on topic, folks, but I just thought I should point out to Longdogs that you're not allowed to have 4 lurchers on leads pulling you up all those hills!!
    I've only got 3 lurchers... one is a decrepit collie age 13 who i carried on my shoulders from Scafell to Langdale last year after he collapsed... and that is NOT a shaggy dog story, unlike bob's!!

The modern day Irish Wolfhound is a shadow of its former self, having disappeared in the 18th Century and being recreated more recently from a mish-mash of other breeds, with a really poor life expectancy. If you want a tough shaggy longdog get a deerhound!! Great now i've offended Collie lovers, and the IW fraternity...

I don't reckon any of them 3 dogs you had with you today would make a decent BGR runner? You seemed to have a good run round though Longdogs!