Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Blakey Blitz

Re: Blakey Blitz

Yeah great race today. Bloody tough but enjoyable, conditions were pretty good really, that cool breeze was nice. Probably one of my favourite races in the North York Moors area.

Re: Blakey Blitz

There's a video of the start to the race on youtube (link below). Well worth a watch as Bob (starter) blows his whistle 4 or 5 times so Dave (RO) who is back at the road knows when to start the official stopwatch. Only thing was Bob forgot to inform the runners why he was blowing it and many runners thought it was a false start!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuWq1N95Cws

I'm making my way through the North York races and upto now this one is my favourite.

Some good boggy sections, a beltin gully descent and a tough long climb up towards the finish really hit the spot.

Dave the organiser does so much for fellrunning in this area, he's priceless. He has his own system of running things and it seems to work a treat....hats off.

Many thanks to all involved.

I never managed to fit this one in when I lived up there, but was always told it was the one 'proper fell course' on the Moors by the locals.
    Dave is also an absolute hero!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Cool

Echo those comments, Dave puts on loads of great races on the moors throughout the year and with a lot of help off Bob Lilley as well, the blitz is definitely a toughy, the weather was perfect though yesterday and with a couple of pints of Wainwrights in the lion inn after, alls well with the world.

Any-one know of a race with a tougher finish?

For those who haven't done the race before the finish is at the top of a 600ft climb which is over a mile long.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

It was a fab race, first time I had done it, horrendous finish but those views on a sunny March day didnt half make up for it.

No surprise ! Mandale / North York Moor Athletic Club / Esk Valley Fell Club and now theyre off again !!!

Bit puzzled by post 58 (Reply With Quote doesn't seem to work). As a reasonably active member of Esk Valley Fell Club I'm not aware of any-one leaving.

More details please.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Recently relocated to the north east and learning about and enjoying the races in the Cheviots and the NYM. Got an XC the day before this one, which i'm guessing is a bad idea but you know what it's like...

The gist is that it's tough and has a killer finish. Is that about the size of it?