Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs kit!

Newbie needs kit!

Hi Folks,

I'm an experienced runner but new to this fell running thingy. I'm doing the Snowdon International race in July and hoping to do some of the summer Shropshire fell races. So nothing too hardcore but methinks I'm going to need some new kit (but I don't want to spend too much cash as I'll probably hardly use any of it).

I've already got a whistle so that's sorted :-)

I need a compass - any recommendations? I guess the smaller the better.

I need windproof top and trousers. From having a look around these threads I was thinking of maybe the Montane Featherlite H2O Waterproof Shell (£48.92 from ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk) or the Montane Lite-Speed Jacket (£37.18). Any other suggestions?

For trousers...haven't really looked yet - any suggestions?

Maps - do people actually buy a map of everywhere they do races or just print them off multimap etc?

Finally I need a bag of some description to keep this stuff in - not sure what capacity I'd need...was thinking maybe of one of these but which one?? http://www.rockrun.com/productlist.a...string=&brand=

Footwear - I've got a pair of Inov8 Roclite 315's - they'll be good enough to get me started won't they?

Anything else I need?

Thanks in advance for any help

Re: Newbie needs kit!

Quote Originally Posted by pete1976 View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm an experienced runner but new to this fell running thingy. I'm doing the Snowdon International race in July and hoping to do some of the summer Shropshire fell races. So nothing too hardcore but methinks I'm going to need some new kit (but I don't want to spend too much cash as I'll probably hardly use any of it).

I've already got a whistle so that's sorted :-)

I need a compass - any recommendations? I guess the smaller the better.

I need windproof top and trousers. From having a look around these threads I was thinking of maybe the Montane Featherlite H2O Waterproof Shell (£48.92 from ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk) or the Montane Lite-Speed Jacket (£37.18). Any other suggestions?

For trousers...haven't really looked yet - any suggestions?

Maps - do people actually buy a map of everywhere they do races or just print them off multimap etc?

Finally I need a bag of some description to keep this stuff in - not sure what capacity I'd need...was thinking maybe of one of these but which one?? http://www.rockrun.com/productlist.a...string=&brand=

Footwear - I've got a pair of Inov8 Roclite 315's - they'll be good enough to get me started won't they?

Anything else I need?

Thanks in advance for any help
    yeh the inov8s 315s will be ok but when you get abit more serious if you do id suggest some inov-8 270s-330s or some x-talons there really for thing short steep boggy and muddy and also long stuff borrowdale ect
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

alright Scott, re kit, wouldn't necessarily argue with any choices but a couple of points. Firstly some races stipulate waterproof jacket with hood, if they do your suggested top will be no good so one option is to kill 2 birds with one stone and get a very lightweight waterproof top....options include a couple of montane ones, Haglofs do a very lightweight smock and my favourite Integral Designs event jacket (got mine online from Canada). Re bottoms have a look at the Inov-8 mistlite bottom which are waterproof and only weigh 115g. I've got some and I've got the montane ones you mention but the latter are no good if peeing it down, the former saved me in a mountain marathon a couple of years ago.

I've got a few bum bags but the best is the Pete Bland one, very lightweight with compression straps and fits everything in. Re shoes the 315s will be fine for Snowdon as its a rocky path all the way up. If you're going to be doing 'more traditional' fells races too you'll want something with more grip, especially in winter, the 330s are my favourites.

Good luck at Snowdon

Thanks for the info guys.

Bladerunner - surely the Montane Featherlite H2O Waterproof Shell would be waterproof wouldn't it?? Not sure about the hood though, would have to check.

A basic Silva base plate compass will get you going. I'd disagree with Bladerunner on the bumbag issue. This has been discussed on another thread. R+R's own "Hipsac" will easily fit all stipulated kit for the tougher AL races and they are bombproof. Several of us on here have had them for 25 years plus and they are still going strong..the PB version is a 'lightweight' copy of R+R's original and nothing like as robust.

Pete I've got one...use it in my bumbag if it looks a bit iffy. Firstly it hasn't got a hood, secondly it definitely isn't waterproof...infact I don't know how they've got the cheek to call it waterproof.

without getting all technical it is waterproof to 1,300mm hydrostatic, an event fabric waterproof is waterproof to 30,000 mm. In other words event is waterproof....even though mine has let water through after hours of solid rain...the H2O isn't waterproof. It will keep a shower off for a while but thats it and once its wet through its useless, the sleeves flap about etc.

ps Wheezing how can you disagree with me? you don't know what my other bumbags are

I didn't say the pb one was the best one anywhere just the best one I've got

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    Pete I've got one...use it in my bumbag if it looks a bit iffy. Firstly it hasn't got a hood, secondly it definitely isn't waterproof...infact I don't know how they've got the cheek to call it waterproof.

without getting all technical it is waterproof to 1,300mm hydrostatic, an event fabric waterproof is waterproof to 30,000 mm. In other words event is waterproof....even though mine has let water through after hours of solid rain...the H2O isn't waterproof. It will keep a shower off for a while but thats it and once its wet through its useless, the sleeves flap about etc.
    I'm still unsure of what to buy....don't want to spend too much...been looking at the Montane Atomic DT Jacket for about £70. Any good? It says it's waterproof to minimum 10,000mm hydrostatic so not as good as the event jacket you mention but alot cheaper and (I think) lighter!

Next question - I've been looking at some Montane Jackets. The ones that aren't waterproof list a windproof rating of 5 ft^3/min but the waterproof ones don't list a windproof rating! Why is this? Are they the same rating or are they not windproof or what??

Many thanks.

I think if a jacket is waterproof then it is also windproof.

A real minefield this jacket business.

Re maps, I keep paper copies of the entire peak and lake district, that covers most races. If there's a race outside these are areas then I'll either pick a map up, or use the organisers map on their website (they occasionally do this).

I've stopped using bumbags now, they bounce around too much for me, I use a light backback with hydration bladder. Cheap from decathlon and distribute the weight much better.