Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knee injury.

knee injury.

During an easy run on Sunday I got a sharp pain in my knee, no strain on it at the time, felt a bit like a jolt from a trapped nerve. Carried on running and it 'went' again 5 mins later. Walked a bit, ran a bit then ouch! Painful to walk....it then wore off allowing me to run home.

Just been out today - felt like it was going to give way when I was walking so ran instead...fine for first mile then OUCH! Sharp pain again....then recovered, then returned etc etc...

Pressing the front of my knee (just below centre) is a bit tender (almost like a bruise).

Help!

Anyone offer any clues as to what it could be or how to get it sorted?

Many thanks.

Re: knee injury.

Im having this problem along with all my other knee problems.

It is mainly happening when im cycling, such as when i come to hover on the bike whilst at traffic lights, road junction.....when i go to push on the pedal to accelerate my left knee gives way.

It is a split second thing but ive had some near misses where ive gone to quickly cross a junction and my knee has given way meaning im sitting there like a rabbit for a split second until my knee works again.

The physio said it is because my knee cap slips out of line and therefore it sort of gets disconnected from use until my knee cap moves enough to allow it to work again.

Not sure if this is anything what your describing, but honestly....see a physio....there could be a few things amiss with you that are making this happen that you might not even know arent right. The sooner you get seen, the sooner it can get sorted before it gets too bad.....trust me on that one.

Probably a microtear in your patellar tendon, if it came on so acutely and the pain is at the front. This is the tendon from the base of the kneecap to the shin. Weak or two of rest and it should be fine.

If it carries on for weeks and weeks,see a physio and google patello-femoral syndrome (anterior knee pain)

Quote Originally Posted by cp1uk View Post
    Probably a microtear in your patellar tendon, if it came on so acutely and the pain is at the front. This is the tendon from the base of the kneecap to the shin. Weak or two of rest and it should be fine.

If it carries on for weeks and weeks,see a physio and google patello-femoral syndrome (anterior knee pain)
    Thanks for that - Physio session booked for Tuesady....Hoping it will just go away before that......

I fell over whilst out running at the end of Feb and banged my knee on a rock.... That's been it for me since then. The knee healed, so I thought, but then the injury came back.....
    Its worth seeing a physio to get it checked out. Mine is very painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetlock View Post
    I fell over whilst out running at the end of Feb and banged my knee on a rock.... That's been it for me since then. The knee healed, so I thought, but then the injury came back.....
    Its worth seeing a physio to get it checked out. Mine is very painful.

that not good, i did a simalr injury in jan but i also too thought the injury had gone, i found out it hadn't fully gone during a nice marathon on saturday after 14 miles it was a long hobble back to the fininsh!
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Huw, got it myself for the second time just recently - well, it sounds similar anyway, and it is v common, if running messageboards in general are anything to go by.

It gets called all sorts of things: runner's knee, patello-femoral syndrome, patellar chondromalacia, synovitis of the kneecap, bla bla

it seems it's to do with straining and inflaming the membrane or cartilage around or under or on top of the kneecap

it's caused simply by 'over-use' and/or by a misalignment in the way the kneecap travels over the knee, which in turn is caused by your outer thigh muscle that attaches there being stronger than the inner

People get it in different bits: front, back, top, 'underneath'. Mine twinges badly on an ascent - even a small step.

Treatment: rest looks to me looks inescapable - my physio said as much and when I didn't take her advice it just set it back a couple of days

along with rest: ice and massage

if it recurs I think people look at ways of strengthening the appropriate muscle to redress the imbalance

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Huw, got it myself for the second time just recently - well, it sounds similar anyway, and it is v common, if running messageboards in general are anything to go by.

It gets called all sorts of things: runner's knee, patello-femoral syndrome, patellar chondromalacia, synovitis of the kneecap, bla bla

it seems it's to do with straining and inflaming the membrane or cartilage around or under or on top of the kneecap

it's caused simply by 'over-use' and/or by a misalignment in the way the kneecap travels over the knee, which in turn is caused by your outer thigh muscle that attaches there being stronger than the inner

People get it in different bits: front, back, top, 'underneath'. Mine twinges badly on an ascent - even a small step.

Treatment: rest looks to me looks inescapable - my physio said as much and when I didn't take her advice it just set it back a couple of days

along with rest: ice and massage

if it recurs I think people look at ways of strengthening the appropriate muscle to redress the imbalance
    hmm i ran into a wall in the winter months whilst running in the dark, does that count as runners knee or just plain stupid!
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

dunno mate

wish mine was as easy to sort out

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Treatment: ...ice and massage
    My kind of treatment!! Now where's the small ads section in me local paper...?
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk