Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigation technique

Navigation technique

I've just entered the Anniversary Waltz and while I did run round the course recently, I've got a terrible memory. I was considering the following as a navigation aid in case it's really foggy:

- a little list of the bearings for exit routes from each peak

In my bad-weather fellwalking experience it's getting off the tops in the right direction which can be the tricky and time-consuming thing, with a force-9 gale disrupting things etc.

This way, you can just set your compass and off.

Re: Navigation technique

Dont know how experienced you are generally re navigation so forgive me if this is teaching you to suck eggs....Thats a good idea and a lot of us mark our maps up with bearings and other little reminders or hints (I like to put split times from previous races on somewhere as well to see how I'm doing on the way round) - saves time taking bearings etc in bad weather when you will probably be cold and perhaps in a rush and more likely to make a mistake. Dont forget a map as well though - apart from needing one under the rules a list of bearings on their own is only any good while you are still on course - if you go wrong you will need a map to get back on course or to navigate your way off the hill.

cougar - oh yes, I know the map is essential as well as reqd. by rules: as you say, I was thinking of marking the 'pre-set bearings' on the map or summat.

It's my first race proper: how do you resist the temptation just to follow the blokes in front?

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    It's my first race proper: how do you resist the temptation just to follow the blokes in front?
    easily after following that group that took you wrong last time?

Always check your bearings if they are going the same way then follow. if not trust your self and your compass.

add some reminders like wall coming in from the right etc. very few people get lost climbing to hill top as all you really do is go up. at the top though there are lots of ways to go wrong. If it's claggy and you are aiming for a gap/stile/gate etc in a wall deliberately 'aim off' as when you hit the wall you will know which side of the wall you are, then use the wall as a handrail to find the gate.

Remember that in a race if some one follows you who doesn't know where they are going head off slightly in the wrong direction then stop to fasten your shoe lace
    I can't believe I just said that

You'll actually find it quite difficult to run on a bearing to an accuracy of a degree or so - I set the compass to the nearest 10 degrees while taking into account any potential danger areas. It's a lot easier to set the compass to the big tick marks when in a rush. So if the actual bearing is 124 degrees but choosing 120 would take me close to steep ground or cliffs then I'd set the compass to 130. A six degree "error" over say 400m will not lead to much extra ground covered.

Also have the first bearing already dialed in on your compass - one less thing to worry about.

Get yourself Peter Cliff's book on mountain navigation: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Nav...7973005&sr=8-1 which is a very good basic introduction, also do a search for Martin Bagness' ebook "Navigation for Mountain Runners" which is a bit more involved.

You don't need many techniques to be able to navigate in the fells: taking/setting a bearing; aiming off; handrails; distance estimation (time or pace counting); aspect of slope are the basic set and a bit of practice so that you are comfortable with these is more than enough.

cheers fellers

I just did an advanced mountain navigation course up in the Lakes that included all those Bob and a bit more, so I should be ok in the AV at least

was just thinking about how things might be different or go awry when running

PS: do people go for the 1:25,000 Harveys race maps sold by Pete Bland?

I was just going to colour-copy my OS but then not sure how I'd laminate it ...

(and sorry if I'm asking Qs that have been asked a hundred times before - I just can't get away with browsing past threads much here at work)

david

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I was just going to colour-copy my OS here at work but then not sure how I'd laminate it ...
    Laminate? Just stick it in a plastic bag.

The thin sticky back stuff is good for maps once you've got the hang of putting it on and less bulky than laminating but in really heavy rain is best put in a poly bag as well. Get rolls of it quite cheap from art shops.

(or nick it from work)
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Oh and you can use a permanent aceteate marker pen to mark them up - it willl come off again with a bit of spit and elbow grease. I got an AW harveys map last year and put sticky back on it so it's much more durable, but will probably use the memory map one I have always used.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...