Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Decent club for Fell Running

Re: Decent club for Fell Runni

Fell ponies have gone international
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Just to pop back to the original question for a bit.

I think what the original poster wanted to know was which out of the Lancs running clubs have the strongest Fell contingent - and so are most likely to have well-organised fell-running training and trips.

I'm looking for a club in the Blackburn-Preston-Chorley area, and I can see there's several clubs around, but I wouldn't know which ones were better for fell?

Zoot, I guess the out and out fell club in that area is Bowland, although Horwich and Clayton are obviously strong fell clubs. Clayton don't really have a club base in the same way as many other clubs, more a disparate grouping of people (bit like the ponies, but with slightly more organisation )

You'll normally see a contingent from Preston and Chorley out on the fells, and WP will tell you how keen the 3 fellrunners from Blackburn are

I guess it's a matter of what you want from the club. I think there's a lot to be said for going local, so you've got access to the training and social side. On the other hand you may be more interested in finding people to travel to BC races or do a BG with, and some clubs are more active than others in this respect. As noted above, the best thing is to go along for a few sessions (training or otherwise) and get a feel for the different clubs. In my experience, they're all vey welcoming and friendly, and not purely 'cos they want your money!

Quote Originally Posted by disco stan View Post
    5 minutes from my house and i'm on the fells pal
    Get in your car city boy
    no that's not a fell it's a hill short arse!
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Pudgy great stuff ta.

Thing is, I actually live in London. But as my ma and brother live in Chorley (and it's where I grew up, went to school etc), I thought it'd be a good choice to join a club round there. I could salve my conscience at not seeing my mum enough at the same time!

But then, as you say, I'd probably get more in some ways out of a local, i.e. London, club.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    Zoot, I guess the out and out fell club in that area is Bowland, although Horwich and Clayton are obviously strong fell clubs. Clayton don't really have a club base in the same way as many other clubs, more a disparate grouping of people (bit like the ponies, but with slightly more organisation )

You'll normally see a contingent from Preston and Chorley out on the fells, and WP will tell you how keen the 3 fellrunners from Blackburn are

I guess it's a matter of what you want from the club. I think there's a lot to be said for going local, so you've got access to the training and social side. On the other hand you may be more interested in finding people to travel to BC races or do a BG with, and some clubs are more active than others in this respect. As noted above, the best thing is to go along for a few sessions (training or otherwise) and get a feel for the different clubs. In my experience, they're all vey welcoming and friendly, and not purely 'cos they want your money!
    3 - Cheeky

I noted that we had 2 teams in the FRA Relays and 2 in the Mary Townley Relay.
    6 in the 3 Peaks - check out how many we have combined at Rivington, Anniversary Waltz this weekend + plus Junior Races.

However, it is clear that if you want a 100% Fell Club then Bowland or Clayton would be the more likely picks.

If you fancy a bit of Cross Country thrown in during Autumn / Winter - some Road Action and the option to train with a group then dependant on your specific requirements I think we tick most boxes.

One thing to think about, if you are just an average runner and you join one of the better clubs, then there will be little chance of you being involved in relay teams etc, as most of these club will only put out there best runners.

Also how serious are you wanting to be? Or are you wanting to get out and have social runs with people of a similar ability.

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    One thing to think about, if you are just an average runner and you join one of the better clubs, then there will be little chance of you being involved in relay teams etc, as most of these club will only put out there best runners.

Also how serious are you wanting to be? Or are you wanting to get out and have social runs with people of a similar ability.
    I'm not sure on that Hopey! I'm probably your typical average runner (OK OK mabe below average) and I've managed to run in the FRA Relays, Mary Townley, Mansfield XC Relays, Northern 12 Stage Relays in the last 12 months.

In fact if your club is bigger and can accomodate B & C teams, there could be more of a chance you will get a run if you are the typical club runner.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Pudgy great stuff ta.

Thing is, I actually live in London. But as my ma and brother live in Chorley (and it's where I grew up, went to school etc), I thought it'd be a good choice to join a club round there. I could salve my conscience at not seeing my mum enough at the same time!

But then, as you say, I'd probably get more in some ways out of a local, i.e. London, club.

I guess you could join a London club, and a club up here 2nd claim/ just for fells. Bowland is registered purely for fells (though a few turn out for mid lancs XC), and I think is only a fiver, and has got members all over. Or Chorley, if you wanted to train locally to your mum.

Sorry WP couldn't resist it! Though I think the multi discipline thing is good if you're that way inclined

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    I guess you could join a London club, and a club up here 2nd claim/ just for fells.
    reckon that might be a winner - though then it would be tempting to join a Lakes club for the fells, specially as Penrith is now only 3 hours on the train (if you're lucky)