Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Ian Roberts Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    I was undecided about doing today's race. I'm trying not to race so much this year, it's got a bit ridiculous over the past 5 years. I want to see if less racing will produce quality times over quantity of races and after doing yesterday's Stan Bradshaw I'd had my weekend 'fix'. The impending night shift only a few hours away should of made the decision for me but I'd hatched a plan to decide my fate....if the race venue is more that 1 hrs drive from home I'm not going.

So computer it was up to you!

Route planner located and Marsden typed in....44 miles 58 minutes...the computer says yes, it's less than 1hr and I'm off. Never trust your computer, it's a Pandora's Box of lies and deceit. It took well over 1hr, does the bloody computer not know about the average speed cameras on the M60?

Anyway on arrival it's evident they've had plenty snow around these parts and it should make for interesting conditions. I'm not overly familiar with the area having only been here once for The Trigger and walking the Pennine Way years ago. What's the thing with Cricket clubs and fellraces, I've lost count how many races start/finish at a Cricket venue, in fact I'm bowled over.

At the start line, which is 10 minutes gentle jog from registration, it's looking pretty obvious who today's winner would be barring any mishaps...step forward Ben Mounsey. And he didn't disappoint, if anything Ben excelled...he left us all marvelling at the sheer pace he raced away at, tortoise's and the hare but this time with no fairytale ending, he wasn't going to be caught. What's even more impressive is the fact Ben made footsteps for us all in the 6-12 inches of snow and still the bugger was out of sight! .....great to see all Ben's hard work paying off, cracking lad.

It was hard going today no matter where you found yourself in the pack. The snow wasn't powder, it was a heavy going 'leg lifting' type of consistency which really drained the energy levels...no runnable path was formed, it was more a case of dropping into the previous sunken foot prints. Really enjoyed the steep descent down snow covered peat that dropped down towards a little stream, if you let yourself go it felt like being on a downwards escalator.

Thought today's conditions really favoured the race making usually tough going trussucks an absolute dream to run across. Really glad my computer got it wrong, had a wonderful morning in great company....beltin.

Cheers to Phil and all his helpers.
    Daz you are a legend mate and a true gent. Always great to catch up and spend time with you at fell races. You are the people's champion. Hope the night shift is kind to you - god knows how you have the energy to race all day and work all night. See you at Black Combe.
    P.S. Thanks for the pint! My round next ;-)

Ian Roberts race photos by Storming Norman Berry here https://www.flickr.com/photos/hhac/sets …

Images from yesterday's race. Didn't see Norman yesterday, we usually bump into each other. Everyone must have been covered at least 3 times.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mossie...57664861771722

Results from Sunday's race now available on the Holmfirth website.

Big thank you to all that raced & supported the raffle as well. Looks like we'll be making a donation of around £400 towards the Mytholmroyd Community Centre, which should help replace some of the sports equipment they lost in the floods.

See you next year - can't guarantee any snow though!

http://www.holmfirthharriers.com/joo...-memorial-2016
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Just 4 weeks to go until this year's race. Will that man Ben Mounsey be back to defend his title or will there be another name on the Roll of Honour? And can anyone dislodge Holmfirth's current Queen of the Fells, Helen Berry, from top spot? You won't know until you try!
    Hope to see plenty of you there. Here's the current race page to be going on with:

http://www.holmfirthharriers.com/joo...l-race-bm-2017

Entry on the day only & still a bargain at £5, with plenty of tea, sarnies & cakes to follow in the cricket club.

Cheers,
    Phil Hobbs
    Holmfirth Harriers
    Last edited by Hobbsy; 06-02-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Had a steady trot round last Saturday & course looking good, although we'll see if Storm Doris can wreak any havoc in the next 24 hours!

Will be having another steady one this Saturday morning if anyone fancies taking on the tussocks?! And for those at the sharp end of the race, as well as the usual age category prizes, we'll also be looking to encourage some U23 participation with prizes for them as well.

What's not to like? See you there!

Weather for Sunday: "Heavy rain" Not quite sure which bit of the day that refers to. Photographer's survival bag needed.

Afternoon everyone.
    Unfortunately, due to a serious medical emergency with a close family member, I am going to have to postpone the race.
    I am hoping to rearrange it later in the year. I'll post an update on the Facebook page & Twitter, but if you know anyone who was planning to run & doesn't do social media, please let them know.
    Many thanks,
    Phil Hobbs

Afternoon all.
    Just to confirm that this year's race has now been rearranged for Sunday 24th September. All other details remain the same, so if you're heading up to Yorkshire for Great Whernside on the Saturday, why not do a Fishwick & take on a double-header over the weekend.
    Hope to see plenty of you there.

Cheers,
    Phil

Afternoon, everyone.
    Just a reminder that the rearranged Ian Roberts Memorial race is this Sunday, from Marsden Cricket Club.
    Decent prize list (including U23's) & post-race spread rarely bettered. And if you don't believe me, just listen to Tindersticks - he knows, you know!
    Hope to see plenty of you there.
    Cheers,
    Phil