Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Roberts Fell Race

Results from Sunday's race now available on the Holmfirth Harriers website. Hope you all enjoyed it (and the cakes)!

http://www.holmfirthharriers.com/joo...8th-march-2015

See you next year.
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

winners name rings a bell

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Beggar View Post
    Nice spot JB. Now U/A? Remember this guy from Edenfield last year, he ran round with a dog as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Beggar View Post
    Though the same thing myself when the notice went up on the FRA Website! Just a day or so too late unfortunately!
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Early heads up for this year's race, which will be on Sunday 6th March. We will be making a donation from the race towards those within the fell-running community directly affected by the recent floods. We will also be holding a raffle on the day, with all proceeds being handed over, so please get yourself along - the prize list is growing!

http://www.holmfirthharriers.com/joo...-10-3km-260m-3

Planning to be at this race.
    Running | Real Ale | Guitar

Update on Sunday's race:
    We are due to mark the course tomorrow (Saturday 5th), so will have a better idea of the conditions around Marsden, where there has already been a fair old dump of snow!
    In the past, where we have had snow, the issue is not the course itself, but the accessibility of the roads leading to the Cricket Club & parking at the club as well.
    Will update tomorrow, when we're likely to make a final decision as to whether the race can go ahead.
    Cheers,
    Phil Hobbs

OK folks.
    Good news is that unless we get any more significant snow, the race will be on tomorrow. Have flagged the course today & although we were breaking the trail a few times, it wasn't silly!
    Forecast is for a bit of rain/sleet this evening & then clear skies. Tomorrow is due to be cold, with good visibility & hardly any wind.
    The snow melt has made the course pretty soggy underfoot & there are a couple of places where you'll need to watch your step, but nothing that a bunch of fell-runners can't cope with.
    The access road to the cricket club is clear & there isn't too much snow at the club itself, so parking should be OK. Please follow the marshal's instructions as to where to park, as we want everyone to be safe.
    Don't forget, we're holding a raffle to raise funds for Mytholmroyd Community Hall amongst others, so bring plenty of change.
    Cakes & sarnies on order - see you there!

I was undecided about doing today's race. I'm trying not to race so much this year, it's got a bit ridiculous over the past 5 years. I want to see if less racing will produce quality times over quantity of races and after doing yesterday's Stan Bradshaw I'd had my weekend 'fix'. The impending night shift only a few hours away should of made the decision for me but I'd hatched a plan to decide my fate....if the race venue is more that 1 hrs drive from home I'm not going.

So computer it was up to you!

Route planner located and Marsden typed in....44 miles 58 minutes...the computer says yes, it's less than 1hr and I'm off. Never trust your computer, it's a Pandora's Box of lies and deceit. It took well over 1hr, does the bloody computer not know about the average speed cameras on the M60?

Anyway on arrival it's evident they've had plenty snow around these parts and it should make for interesting conditions. I'm not overly familiar with the area having only been here once for The Trigger and walking the Pennine Way years ago. What's the thing with Cricket clubs and fellraces, I've lost count how many races start/finish at a Cricket venue, in fact I'm bowled over.

At the start line, which is 10 minutes gentle jog from registration, it's looking pretty obvious who today's winner would be barring any mishaps...step forward Ben Mounsey. And he didn't disappoint, if anything Ben excelled...he left us all marvelling at the sheer pace he raced away at, tortoise's and the hare but this time with no fairytale ending, he wasn't going to be caught. What's even more impressive is the fact Ben made footsteps for us all in the 6-12 inches of snow and still the bugger was out of sight! .....great to see all Ben's hard work paying off, cracking lad.

It was hard going today no matter where you found yourself in the pack. The snow wasn't powder, it was a heavy going 'leg lifting' type of consistency which really drained the energy levels...no runnable path was formed, it was more a case of dropping into the previous sunken foot prints. Really enjoyed the steep descent down snow covered peat that dropped down towards a little stream, if you let yourself go it felt like being on a downwards escalator.

Thought today's conditions really favoured the race making usually tough going trussucks an absolute dream to run across. Really glad my computer got it wrong, had a wonderful morning in great company....beltin.

Cheers to Phil and all his helpers.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.