Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stretton Skyline

Re: Stretton Skyline

hi all, just wondering if anyone has any route suggestions, or even better, a map of a recommended route around the race? As i am thinking of heading down next Sunday, but have had no time to get there for an exploratory recce!
    cheers, Joe

This is about right, although a few sneaky little short cuts can be found along the way: http://www.mapmywalk.com/routes/fullscreen/3990579/beta

It's a lovely route

resurrecting this old thread just to say what a lovely route it is. Hard. But lovely.
    Finished it today in perfect weather: give it a go next year.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Anyone else doing this on sunday?

Hoping for a good time (by my own moderate standards), have been training hard, although looking at the contours on the map is quite sobering, so certainly not underestimating it....

I'll be there!
    It's a cracking race: don't be tempted to go out too quick!

oh, and there's a map here

Thanks for that, I'll take a look tonight... On looking at the OS map there does appear to be a bit of route choice in places...

Say hello to the guy in the Dark Peak vest and bandana...!

Lovely race today... All the marshalls and helpers were superb, and so many people out on the course giving out water, jelly babies, gels, etc... the descent off the first climb was utterly gorgeous, could have ran down it forever...

By quite a way the hardest race I've done (although as a novice of 6 races I'm hardly qualified to judge). Really felt strong on the steep ups and downs, but the final climb was an absolute horror-show. I lost about 10 minutes getting lost and flapping about in the heather trying to get back on course, but no excuses, I absolutely blew up after the final road crossing. Was sat in 12th coming off the penultimate climb, but the run across the fields and numerous stiles really took it's toll, and I trundled home in 15th or 16th in 3hrs 27...

Great to meet DaveMole, and also fellow Dark-Peaker 'Trevor'.... Thanks for the kind words as we passed in opposite directions on The Lawley; I tried to respond in kind but could only mumble some gibberish, the words wouldn't come out!

Will without a doubt be back next year, hopefully with a lot more experience in my legs. 3 hours is within reach with some hard work...
    Last edited by Travs; 06-09-2015 at 07:11 PM.

good to see you out and you did well!
    It's a hard race and that last slog up Gogbatch is horrible....
    Have you seen the pictures over at
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/709077...57655942099973

Some good races coming up including the Wrekin Wrecker, Cardington Cracker and Long Mynd Valleys in the New Year. Happy to help with a lift from the Church Stretton railway station for Cardington, if you need one.

I didn't expect anything less than a considerable amount of pain... it was my longest fell race so far by several miles... in fact the furthest I've run in any format... muscles coped with it (I was back in the gym the day after ), but my joints, ligaments, etc, still need conditioning to long fell races... not to mention the sunburn...!

will definitely be at the Cardington Cracker, final race of the year before spending 3 weeks over Xmas training in the Canaries...