Thread: spare day in the lake district

spare day in the lake district

i have booked the 9th &10th of may on a navigation course in snowdonia, i then plan to head up to the lake district on monday. i plan to do the latrigg wednesday, i have booked two walks in the keswick mountain festival for thursday scafell pike via esk house and gable girdle on friday and hope to be still fit enough to do the fairfield horseshoe on saturday.i have never been to the lakes before and wondered if anyone could recommend a good walk for the tuesday or does anyone recommend i do a recce of the fairfield horseshoe and see if i have learnt anything on my navigation course
    slow upfast down

Re: spare day in the lake dist

Whereabouts are you staying, Fellboy?

You could always get the map out, and see which hills look juicy, and make your own route up. That way you learn about navigation and route choice (admittedly through making mistakes ), and get off the beaten track. Much more fun!

i'll be staying at the great langdale campsite. i have just bought the 4 os maps that cover the lakes and have got the wainwright set of books but its such a massive choice to fit into one spare day.never being there before its hard to judge of a map where i could get the best views for a bit of photography as well as a good challenging walk
    slow upfast down

Well loads to go at from your tent (provided you get past the ODG).

I like Lingmoor because it's quiet and has got good views. Blisco's a nice hill, and you can follow it all round past the Crinkles, and down the Band back into Landale. Or explore to say Little Stand, which doesn't get too many visitors. Wainwright's pretty good for telling you nice quiet ways up a hill, and he was a great fan of just following his nose and a map, visiting interesting looking places, as well as summits.

Master

The langdale pikes are really nice. There is a good path with views all around the lakes. Cant really go wrong and there are plenty of places to turn off or go further depending on how you feel.

Master

Exclamation Re: spare day in the lake dist

I would recommend Bowfell via the Band and the Climber's Traverse, followed by Crinkle Crags - and if you are really up for it, Pike O'Blisko. Plenty of scope for getting lost if the clag is down! Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fellboy View Post
    i have booked the 9th &10th of may on a navigation course in snowdonia, i then plan to head up to the lake district on monday. i plan to do the latrigg wednesday, i have booked two walks in the keswick mountain festival for thursday scafell pike via esk house and gable girdle on friday and hope to be still fit enough to do the fairfield horseshoe on saturday.i have never been to the lakes before and wondered if anyone could recommend a good walk for the tuesday or does anyone recommend i do a recce of the fairfield horseshoe and see if i have learnt anything on my navigation course
    I'm in the Lakes that week as well and am also doing Latrigg and Fairfield. You probably don't need to recce the Fairfield H. Just remember not to go straight on at Fairfield's summit!
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

There be Dragons in dem Hills.......be warned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I would recommend Bowfell via the Band and the Climber's Traverse, followed by Crinkle Crags - and if you are really up for it, Pike O'Blisko. Plenty of scope for getting lost if the clag is down! Good Luck!
    second this