Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairfield Horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    my mistake: it wasn't Fairfield. I was confused following a link which was next to a shirtless, number on shorts Ricky Lightfoot.
    Not sure what race this was, but the image was posted this week and there are runners on the RS site at Fairfield who did the same.
    I've heard he's saving himself for his next target race: Shutlingsloe on Monday.

Would I be right in saying there is actually nothing wrong with running shirtless as long as- At the start, When passing checkpoints and Finishing you are actually wearing it with your number visable
    Surely in between these points you can quite easily take your vest off stuff it down the side of your shorts or in your bum bag belt and run free as a bird, as RFR did at Fairfield ?
    Does it state anywhere that a vest displaying your number Must be worn at ALL times, or is it simply stated that your number must be worn on your vest?
    Good going down !!

the rules seem to imply the number has to be worn at all times as it has to be visible during the race and also can't be obscured by straps etc - why not just be done with it and get everyone to tattoo a number on their forehead?

point 8.2 of the rules:
    Must wear their competitor number and place it on the chest in a clearly visible way to ensure that it can be read easily during the race and that marshals need not search for it elsewhere on the body.
    Must not fold or cut down the number the background serves the purpose of highlighting the
    numerals against the vest.

There's nothing explicit about wearing it all the time but "ensure that it can be read easily during the race" implies as much. One RO requires the number to be visible at all times so that runners are easily identifiable.....But then the rules also imply that it's OK to have the number obscured by a cag, as long as you show it to a marshal at a CP.....
    ....it's all downhill from here.

it seems the photo of Ricky might have been an old one from Borrowdale.
    However, look what's on the first page of the Borrowdale race website:
    http://www.borrowdalefellrunners.co..../#.U38s-yjb48s
    ....it's all downhill from here.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    it seems the photo of Ricky might have been an old one from Borrowdale.
    However, look what's on the first page of the Borrowdale race website:
    http://www.borrowdalefellrunners.co..../#.U38s-yjb48s
    On the general point you were right dave, as witness the photos I pointed at.
    As regards Borrowdale...Oops! ...wonder if the thought police will have anything to say about it.

A runner at the very sharp end of the Teenager race ( along with one or two others) had to, on approaching the High Spy CP, get his vest out of his bum bag and unfurl it to tell us his number. Not naming anyone as we had no problem with it at the time, and I never realised the ruling on it was so strict. I still think it would be harsh to DQ someone for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Yes, the gormless looking young lad near the sharp end (also http://www.athletesinaction.co.uk/fairfield-339#photo) was totally on his own when he came through CP1. We gave him an ear-wigging for upsetting our count but he did not comprehend what we were about. He had not got the foggiest idea where he was going; told him to "just keep following the wall down the other side", which he almost did but as he crossed the ridge path, he looked up to the right and spotted those in front. The RO was notified and caught him in the finish funnel and took down his details - to be reported to the FRA.

In addition to the couple ( man & woman ) in the mid-pack, there was another unregistered runner amongst the back markers, wearing an ILKLEY club vest (http://www.athletesinaction.co.uk/fairfield-502#photo). Maybe he heeded our warning to stay clear of the CPs. At least none of this trio attempted to go through the finish funnel.

If you aren't registered in the race, don't go through the CPs and certainly don't go posing for the camera.
    This chap was just in front at CP1, and he stopped at the head of the cove. Presumably he had no idea where he was going, so I offered him a ride across, not knowing he was a 'Bandit runner'. When I realised he wasn't in the race, but was still racing, I put the boot in and lost him. Forgot about the 'Topless/number on chest' rule. Does this mean Rhys is DSQed? I'm going to text him and wind him up....

A topless Corny as well at the start of Borrowdale. He's got a great bod'; let him flaunt it!! Ha ha!

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Winskill; 23-05-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    A runner at the very sharp end of the Teenager race ( along with one or two others) had to, on approaching the High Spy CP, get his vest out of his bum bag and unfurl it to tell us his number. Not naming anyone as we had no problem with it at the time, and I never realised the ruling on it was so strict. I still think it would be harsh to DQ someone for it.
    Does it apply to races held under SHR rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winskill View Post
    A topless Corny as well at the start of Borrowdale. He's got a great bod

Phil

Phil,
    words fail me............ your wife is just a beard!
    Darren Kay.
    Calder Valley