Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapering Down for 48-miler

Tapering Down for 48-miler

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum although I have read most of the entries. I have been looking for advice on how best to prepare for a 48 mile run around the Mary Towneley Loop which is around East Lancs and West Yorks, covering part of the Pennine Bridleway. I intend doing it in one hit on the 4th July, going off my times for long runs I will hopefully complete it in about 10 hours all being well.
    I've recce'd all of it and preperation is going quite well, got the 3 peaks race next weekend as part of build up.
    My queeries are regarding tapering down to the big day. I intend doing a 30 miler as the last big run (roughly 2/3 distance) but wondered how close to the big day should this be? I was thinking about 2 weeks before then bring the miles back down to about 10 at 4 days to go then a slow 5 the day before to keep the legs loose.
    Carb flush d-day minus 5 and 4, then carb load from minus 3 to the day as well as hyper-hydrating.

Is this somewhere near a good preperation or am I way off. Feedback and advice from more seasoned long distance runners would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Gary

Re: Tapering Down for 48-miler

It's variable, some people work well off a 3 week taper. I run as normal, last long run 2 weeks before, then a normal 50 mile week, a fairly long run the weekend before and then my last week is run monday, run tuesday, rest/swim wednesday, run thursday, rest friday, then the race/run Saturday. At least one of those runs in the last week will be quality, speed or hill reps.

Done that for 40 mile and 100k races this year and felt good at the start line.

I don't bother with the carb avoidance/loading strategy, just sod any diet from thursday onwards and pig out.

I'd say my preparation is pretty similar to Iain for ultras and long distance runs I have done. I usually have a couple of easier weeks prior maybe doing more cycling than running, doing my last run a couple of days before just to keep the legs loose, making sure I have a tempo or speed work session somewhere in the week.

Diet wise I do exactly the same as Iain, eat as normal then eat whatever I see for the two days preceeding.

Super Moderator

I tend to have an easier 10days or so before long events and also like a briskish run a couple of days before the race. Agree with posts above re plenty of food in the two days before and tbh the thought of carb flushing fills me with fear

Good luck with the Loop GSM!

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post
    I'd say my preparation is pretty similar to Iain for ultras and long distance runs I have done. I usually have a couple of easier weeks prior maybe doing more cycling than running, doing my last run a couple of days before just to keep the legs loose, making sure I have a tempo or speed work session somewhere in the week.

Diet wise I do exactly the same as Iain, eat as normal then eat whatever I see for the two days preceeding.
    I would third this, I tend to ease off for a couple of weeks... keep up the 'quality' miles (speed work etc), and make sure the rest is active with a good dose of cross training thrown in (cycling etc).

The benefits of carb depletion then load are questionable and the same effect can be gained through your taper and a carb load (pigging out ).

Good luck!

and don't forget to have a pint of ale from the area you'll be running in the night before
    I can resist everything but temptation

http://ultrarunningcollie.blogspot.com/

Good advice ultracollie forgot that vital ingredient !

Quote Originally Posted by ultracollie View Post
    and don't forget to have a pint of ale from the area you'll be running in the night before
    almost there ... don't forget one for afterwards too!

Perhaps more important than tapering down is getting your pace judgement right on the day, especially at the beginning. If you go haring off at the beginning, you'll suffer (for hours!) later. Worth being realistic about how fit you are - no point in going for what you'd ideally like, but what you're actually capable of. You can always speed up later - and it's great to go charging past people at the end when they've died!! Appreciate that for the first one it is hard to know how you'll last, but sounds like your training has been OK. So just take it really steady to start with.

Many thanks for the replies so far, I will take note particularly about the quicker runs or hill work in the last week, and the point about pacing also.

The carb flush and then load is what I did prior to other long endurance events such as my Ironman triathlon and etape du tour bike ride and it seemed to work ok then.

The quality sessions and the timing of the last big run is what I need advice on from the experienced long distance runners.

Thanks once again,

Gary