Thread: FRA rules - category A races

FRA rules - category A races

I'm going to do my first category A race and am not sure what exactly is needed in terms of kit. Can anyone provide a handy checklist?

I'm assuming that emergency blanket will not suffice for "full body cover"? If not, do you need waterproof trousers AND jacket?

I am quite nervous about this, so any help would be great.

thanks

Re: FRA rules - category A rac

Which race - A category 3 mile is different to A categort 23 mile!

Best to have Waterproof full body cover, compass, whistle, map, emergency food.

You really need to see the specific instructions for the particular race eg. note the experience required to be able to enter Jura below and Edale Skyline now requires a mobile phone.

SAT.MAY 23. ISLE OF JURA. AL. 10.30 a.m. 16m/7500' from Craighouse distillery. £12 pre-entry only, on official form obtainable from website from March 1st. Limit 180. Teams men(4), ladies(3) free. ER/LK/NS. Over 18. Records: 3.06.59 M.Rigby 1994; f. 3.40.33 A.Mudge 2008. Runners must have completed recent Cat. A races. Junior races, all ages, organised by the village, from 11.00 a.m., entries on day. Traditional island welcome. Details: Phil Hodgson, Brookside, Stubbing Drive, Hebden Bridge, HX7 6LS. Tel: 01422 844936. Email: [email protected] Website: jurafellrace.org.uk

Safety rules and kit requirements here,
    http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/pdf/com...quirements.pdf

But bear in mind these are 'best practise' and race organisers may specify more stringent requirements, eg mobile phone for Edale, taped seams for some races... It really depends on the race organisers requirements.

"Full body cover" most definitely means jacket and trousers as an absolute minimum. Probably hat and gloves, too. Carry an emergency blanket as well if you like, but not instead.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    "Full body cover" most definitely means jacket and trousers as an absolute minimum. Probably hat and gloves, too. Carry an emergency blanket as well if you like, but not instead.
    Too right Geoff! I was kit checking at the AW and one guy ( V50, possibly V60 ) tried to pass off an aluminium foil emergency blanket as a waterproof top! He was told in no uncertain terms! As it was, such gear was not needed; but the weather on the start field has no bearing on what might be happening on the high tops in a hour's time.

Thanks for all the replies.

I suppose I am a little concerned I may be out of my depth. I'm a bit of a "lone wolf" and do a lot of fell running on my own, mostly in the Lakes (Kentmere, Hellvelyn, Old Man) so have quite limited experience of competitive running beyond the odd race here and there.

I think fitness-wise I should be OK but my main concern is that my navigational skills are, at best, ropey. When running alone I do routes I know very well, tend to ensure the weather is not too horrendous and if it is, turn back and retrace my steps.

I'm worried that in a race situation where turning back is not possible, I will struggle. I'm fine with a map on a clear day but as soon as the mist comes in I'm not very confident.

Am I being naive?, but will the above be a massive problem? is it possible to follow other people or should I really hone my navigational skills before embarking on a race?

thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by little apple View Post
    I'm worried that in a race situation where turning back is not possible, I will struggle. I'm fine with a map on a clear day but as soon as the mist comes in I'm not very confident.
    Who says turning back isn't possible? It's absolutely the right thing to do if you find yourself getting into a situation you aren't comfortable with. But make sure you report back to the race headquarters so that they know you're safe.

I would suggest starting off with modest distances, i.e. short or medium rather than long, reccy the course beforehand and know what your escape routes might be if the weather deteriorated. In bad conditions, the main thing is to get down to lower altitude. If you've come down into the wrong valley, it's a bit inconvenient, but you're safe. I remember the Helvellyn race from Bram Crag Farm in 1994 (I think) when almost the whole race was in cloud and heavy rain. Only half the field finished because people came off the fells all over the place, but everyone was safe.

Are you a member of a club? If not, join one, and someone else may be happy to accompany you on a race or two while you build your confidence.

There are a huge range of abilities amongst those who race on the fells, and you may well find yourself further up the field than you expect. Take the right kit, get out there, and enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Are you a member of a club? If not, join one, and someone else may be happy to accompany you on a race or two while you build your confidence.
    Even if you're not a member of a club, you're on the forum now! If you post to say which races you're considering, the chances are that there'd be fellow forumites very willing to look after you on your initial forays. We're a pretty friendly lot and cover a wide range of athletic ability! Where are you based, Little Apple?
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Hi all

Many thanks again for the replies.

I was thinking of doing the Coniston Fell Race on May 2nd (weather depending).

I am based in Yorks/Cumbria.

I always go through my fixtures handbook every year and circle events but so far have never got as far as doing one!

I don't think I can help out at Coniston but perhaps there's another kindly soul out there who's doing it and would offer moral support!
    As for going through the handbook circling events, that can be considered a sport in itself! Hours of fun and anticipation for minimal expense and effort!

I don't know if you've marked out any of these, but I might be doing Mytholmroyd, Coiners, Austwick and/or Duddon in May. If (and it's a big IF) I do Duddon it could well be the 'short' course. In early June I'm doing the Wharfedale marathon.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies