Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Stuc a’ Chroin

Well done Conor. What would be the most similar sort of event in Ireland? Hoping to get back over next year as we've got family in Monaghan so not a million miles away from the Mourne Mountains :-)

there a few similar races in the Mournes see below, plenty of climbing

annalong

spelga

and the seven sevens which is a beast
    Last edited by foggon; 11-05-2017 at 02:49 PM.

cheers!

I can't think of any very like it. I live in the shadow of Carrauntoohil and the highest mountains in Ireland and no race has that combination of both steepness of ascent and intensity of pace. The Mournes Skyline and the Mournes Seven Sevens (which is much easier to get into, the Skyline sold out in a day or 2) were both brutally tough the first time...but not the same, more because it's climb descend climb descend climb descend in that range. The fact that I was much more comfortable and quicker in the second Skyline makes me think I want to try Stuc a Chroin next year and lower it to 3. It was a race, and a field of athletes, that made me want to be a better runner.

Good stuff Conor. Stuc was intended to be my 'comeback' this year but events conspired against me. 2018 though - maybe see you there :-)

It's a real eye opener to think of the elite guys running this in around 6 mins/km pace but I, too, would be happy with a sub-3hr

It is pretty amazing alright. Was at the Irish Championships on Carrauntoohil yesterday and was telling a few about my trip to Scotland. When I mentioned Finlay Wild and his time a couple of the top Irish runners nodded their heads and agreed he's superhuman. Stuc a Chroin 2018 already in the plans, hope to drag a few others over next year.