Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowland Dozen

Bowland Dozen

Thought I would menton this as the Kinder Dozen is topical at the moment. The Bowland Dozen was added to the Over The Challenge Series this year. A trio from DPFR completed it last weekend. It is round of the 12 trigs of 400+ m on the Bowland massif - some 50 miles and 6500' of some of the best bogs and tussocks in the north

Like all the others in the series anyone of any age can do it although there is a range of first class times for the over 50's. Full details here

Re: Bowland Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    Thought I would menton this as the Kinder Dozen is topical at the moment. The Bowland Dozen was added to the Over The Challenge Series this year. A trio from DPFR completed it last weekend. It is round of the 12 trigs of 400+ m on the Bowland massif - some 50 miles and 6500' of some of the best bogs and tussocks in the north

Like all the others in the series anyone of any age can do it although there is a range of first class times for the over 50's. Full details here
    Thats ace!

Didnt realise there was such a challenge so close by.

Al

I have got several of the challenges marked on my OS maps and have already done bits of several and plan to do them
    It's just time.
    The last two months would have been great when it was so dry as the worst is probably the deep boggy bits and when the heather gets growing.
    not sure I can fit them in this year as I've got LAMM, Saunders, Ribble challenge and two more ultras to fit in - oh and Duddon

If we get a dry summer I might have a go as we don't think we can get abroad this year.
    I'll let you know if plans look like happening

Karen if you fancy a partner for the Bowland rounds give me a shout, I have had my eye on them for after my BG.

Karl (ex geography pupil at Broughton!)

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Al

I have got several of the challenges marked on my OS maps and have already done bits of several and plan to do them
    It's just time.
    The last two months would have been great when it was so dry as the worst is probably the deep boggy bits and when the heather gets growing.
    not sure I can fit them in this year as I've got LAMM, Saunders, Ribble challenge and two more ultras to fit in - oh and Duddon

If we get a dry summer I might have a go as we don't think we can get abroad this year.
    I'll let you know if plans look like happening
    Well i cant even consider anything this year because of my knees but hopefully by next summer they should be right. Wont hold my breath though.

But sounds good though!

Karl I have probably missed something here but when is your BG scheduled for? ( and Good Luck)

Hi Karen,

My BG is planned for 26/27th June but I have had the long bowland routes on my radar for a while, the dozen and the 1,500s if you are thinking of giving them a go over the summer then I wouldn't mind joining you, always better with someone to talk to than on my own.

Fellhound

Don't forget, if you do any of the Bowland challenges please let me know. Details on the OTH or Bowland Fellrunners websites.

Lightbulb Re: Bowland Dozen

Karen, perhaps a few of the club (plus bowland) could do a couple of long distance stuff from fell foot to keep up the endurance for saunders type events.
    In fact a m/m type navigational event would be great fun over bowland and is something that has been on my mind for a while.
    Even throwing in a wild camp stayover (if permitted).
    I am sure a few of the club would be interested.
    jim

(I need the practice after beacon fell)

Quote Originally Posted by jimdoh View Post
    Karen, perhaps a few of the club (plus bowland) could do a couple of long distance stuff from fell foot to keep up the endurance for saunders type events.
    In fact a m/m type navigational event would be great fun over bowland and is something that has been on my mind for a while.
    Even throwing in a wild camp stayover (if permitted).
    I am sure a few of the club would be interested.
    jim

(I need the practice after beacon fell)
    Are Bowland Pennine MRT not running the "Bowland Challenge" again this year? Usually based at Waddecar Scout Camp.