Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paying for races Online

Re: Paying for races Online

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McColl View Post
    Book-A-race is cheaper than any of the competition out there
    Well how much do the competition charge then?
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'

Well Runners World's costs are....

• We take a commission on every entry as follows:
      £1.50 per entry for entries costing up to £10;
      £2 per entry for entries costing £10.01 to £20;
      £3 per entry for entries costing £20.01 to £30, and so on.
    • This commission can be charged to the runner or to the organiser, or split half and half between the two. (So, in the first case, an entry that was £8 by post would cost the runner £9.50, and we would send the organiser the full £8. In the second case, the runner would pay £8 online, and we would send the organiser £6.50. In the third case, the runner would pay £8.75 online, and we would send the organiser £7.25.)

And fabian4....

Event organisers - Ease your workload by taking entries online. Setup is free. The charge is 5% + vat of entries taken (inclusive of all card processing fees). If interested please contact [email protected] or proceed with creating your event.

I’d have thought. after the experiences of this year’s Edale Skyline. that we would be coming to the conclusion that on-line entry is NOT what we need – with its ease of entry, quick response and cursory evaluation.

And we certainly don’t need middle men like these (or Mr Hooker) creaming off their ten precent to the detriment of the organiser, the runners and the sport.

Whether a race has online entry or not is really the call of the organiser, but I would have thought it was the way to go for the larger races. Struggling to see its relevance on my race though - entry is free so long as you pay the nice farmer £3 to enter the sheepdog trial field.... but some of the costs do seem a bit high - once you've developed a half decent system it seems like money for old rope.

I think it has a place. I also don't like seeing races being advertised and filled months and months before a race. But it's simpler and easier than sending out cheques. I'd be willing to spend a few quid extra on a race and just do it all online.

This was the norm in NZ, you went on coolrunning.org.nz, picked your race in the calendar, were given a link to the website, or they hosted a page for the race organisers and entered. It's quite hard here to get entries, work out what the website is, how to enter and who to pay. Once you are used to it, it may seem simple, but my missus has been struggling finding links to all the championship races.

It's also easier for the race organiser as they dn't have to handle the money, process cheques etc. I struggle to see the reluctance to go down this line for any pre entry race.

the usual race cost what? 3 - £15 max, so 5% is less than a quid on top.

To me this is a very similar situation to the Trailrunning events. If it is wanted and useful then people will pay for it and fair play to them. Personally, I'm more than happy to pay an extra couple of quid to know for sure that my entry has been recieved and to avoid buggering about with paper and envelopes but i understand that other people may not feel the same way. If people don't want to use it then they won't and enter races in the usual manner. At this stage I would have thought that any sensible race organiser would still leave conventional routes of entry open anyway.

As usual the market will decide...

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post

And we certainly don’t need middle men like these (or Mr Hooker) creaming off their ten precent to the detriment of the organiser, the runners and the sport.
    Why not? I agree with Track Fairy, its up to the runners to decide. If on line entry become popular (and I think it will), then its obvious most runners are happy for people to make a small amount from this.

This is common place in orienteering is it not? Is it because people are making money?

The average race organiser does not have the ability to set up on online entry system, and so has to source it out, to pay for this, the company/person takes a small cut of the entry fee. Perfectly reasonable to me.

Actually it looks like the fabian4 website has to charge VAT on the entry fee. So they take 5% of the entry fee, but the event becomes subject to VAT at 17.5%.... so perhaps the biggest rip-off artists in the country take their cut - the government!

Banned

So theres the answer.

Just pay on the day and the right folk get the brass. EASY