Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tick repellant

Tick repellant

I know Avon Skin So Softly works well against midges, but does anyone know if it is effective against Ticks?

I'd rather avoid using DEET if possible.....

ta

Master

Re: Tick repellant

Just get yerself a pair of tweezers and remove the blighters, i have had to remove two today after 6 hrs on the fell.

we could even see who get`s the biggest count for the season.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Just get yerself a pair of tweezers and remove the blighters, i have had to remove two today after 6 hrs on the fell.

we could even see who get`s the biggest count for the season.
    They were talking about lymes disease and Ticks this morning on TV.

I have to say given I'm on the hills all the time I can only recall eonly ever seeing just one tick

Where do you all find them? it's not like I run on paths all day.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    They were talking about lymes disease and Ticks this morning on TV.

I have to say given I'm on the hills all the time I can only recall eonly ever seeing just one tick

Where do you all find them? it's not like I run on paths all day.
    I don`t find them they seem to find me, however the spot on stuff i use on my dog seems to keep her clear, i don`t really see them as a big deal just remove them, no worries.

I've had to remove ticks several times. The trouble with just relying on removing them rather than keeping them off completely is that:

a. Although not all ticks carry Lyme's or other disease a small percentage do. It's a bit like russian roullette - the more times you try the larger the risk!

b.You need to get them off quickly to minimise risk of infection - it's very difficult to spot them until they've fed, especially the nymphs, or if they pick a hard to see spot that'd need a friendly partner to find. Current advice is within 6 hours and I've not spotted them for days before now.

c. you need to get rid of them cleanly without leaving any bits of the tick inside- any stress on the tick by poor removal can cause them to regurgitate (possibly infected) stomach contents into your bloodstream.

d. once bitten it is virtually impossible to tell whether you have picked up something like Lyme's disease, and symptoms may not even appear for months or years. Current lab tests on blood cannot give an absoulute all clear. Lyme's disease can be a pretty horrible disease if's not diagnosed and treated very early.

e. I can't stand running in leggings so want to find another way of putting the little buggers off from using me for lunch!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I've had to remove ticks several times. The trouble with just relying on removing them rather than keeping them off completely is that:

a. Although not all ticks carry Lyme's or other disease a small percentage do. It's a bit like russian roullette - the more times you try the larger the risk!

b.You need to get them off quickly to minimise risk of infection - it's very difficult to spot them until they've fed, especially the nymphs, or if they pick a hard to see spot that'd need a friendly partner to find. Current advice is within 6 hours and I've not spotted them for days before now.

c. you need to get rid of them cleanly without leaving any bits of the tick inside- any stress on the tick by poor removal can cause them to regurgitate (possibly infected) stomach contents into your bloodstream.

d. once bitten it is virtually impossible to tell whether you have picked up something like Lyme's disease, and symptoms may not even appear for months or years. Current lab tests on blood cannot give an absoulute all clear. Lyme's disease can be a pretty horrible disease if's not diagnosed and treated very early.

e. I can't stand running in leggings so want to find another way of putting the little buggers off from using me for lunch!
    And you could get run over by a bus tomorrow, and i don`t know if Avon SSS will prevent that so why worry,

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I know Avon Skin So Softly works well against midges, but does anyone know if it is effective against Ticks?

I'd rather avoid using DEET if possible.....

ta
    Another point worth noting.

Deet is well known to dissolve any polymer. spill it on any synthetic and its gone It used to be banned in scandanavia.

Spilt some Avon 'NOT' skin so soft on an expensive jacket last weekend. The jacket in question is now history. completely destroyed it. you have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    And you could get run over by a bus tomorrow, and i don`t know if Avon SSS will prevent that so why worry,

I could indeed - though I tend to look before I cross the road. Same principle of prevention really, unless you're suggesting people should just cross the road without looking and take pot luck as to whether the bus is coming or not!!

I know people (some on this forum) who's lives have been ruined by Lyme's disease - personally I'd rather not spend the next 3 years without the energy to run, suffering constant flu like symptoms and with facial paralysis if a few simple steps can help prevent it!

Like any risk it's a balance between impact, probability and prevention, but it's not going to stop me running in the places I love!

Lola

Stumpy,

3 options as I see it (excluding not going out)

Use DEET carefully and wash it off as soon as possible - it works and does not affect socks.

Use orienteering PJ trousers, light, cool, colourful, effective but you will look a t*t.

Plan ahead. Know the areas you want to train in and ring the local vets (if you really are in the Chilterns, Wendover Heights are great vets), they will tell you the life cyle of the local tick varieties and you can minimise exposure.

ps don't use tweezers to remove ticks, the proper little gadget is very cheap and much more effective.

xx

stick to tracksters like i do, bit warm in summer, so run through some streams, the thought of one of em on me is bad enough, never mind lymme's
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound