Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garmins/GPS and all that

Re: Garmins/GPS and all that

Can you explain why you put it through GPSU? I just map it in Memory map and export the route to the 305
    (Just typed this all out once and me flamin' t'interweb went down....)

I used to (and still do sometimes) just export the route to the 305.

But there is a 100 waypoint limit which is no good on a long (say 30 or 40 mile) route.

You can get round that by converting the route to a track, exporting the track as a gpx file then using GPSU to export it as a Garmin course (crs) file for loading onto the 305 using Garmin's training software. Whilst it's in GPSU however you can add height data (DEM data I think it's called, from NASA satellites or something).

The disadvantages are that it's a load of messing about (although I find that strangely satisfying) and you don't get an audible indication of upcoming turns.

The advantages of doing it as a course are that (1) that it overcomes the 100 waypoint limit (main advantage) and (2) having added the height data you get a nifty little course profile screen showing ascents/descents and your position relative to that of your virtual training partner. You also get an eta which I can't recall if you get when navigating a route?

(Tracklogs or whatever it's called also does the DEM data but I just don't get on with it...)

Sad but, hey, it keeps me amused (and I can use a real map and compass as well!!).

fb
    Last edited by Fat Bloke; 04-06-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Tony Vardy

thanks for that - will give it a go - I like tinkering as well!!!

I usually convert any route to a track in memory map before exporting. Most of the time though I'll run off a map and compass and have a few strategic waypoints or checkpoints for the course loaded up. That way if I get mislocated I can use the Garmin to get me back. At least that way I'm still using a bit of my brain!

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Any idea if the camera is linked to the GPS FM? That would be cool to know the grid ref where a photo was taken.
    The camera is indeed linked the GPS- that was their whole reasoning for including the camera, so you could take a picture and the device would automatically log the location in which you took the picture.......

The only thing Dom is that you are a peeping Tom (like me) taking a secret picture of some girls breats, so may well be gone if you navigate back to that same spot at a later date!

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    ... taking a secret picture of some girls breats...
    Which part of the female figure contain their breats?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    I have a watch that beeps to keep you on target pace if you fall below or go 30s per mile to fast it beeps you back in order
    ....and those beeps annoy every other person within earshot.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

has anybody tried the road angel adventurer 7000 ? iv'e seen it advertised on the memory-map page, looks like a better sized screen than other handheld gps units also used as a satnav for the car. i have heard battery life of about 6 hours is its biggest setback but was wondering if anybody else has had any feedback on them.
    slow upfast down