Thread: Eng/British races -club champs

Eng/British races -club champs

Last year members of the fell running community and race organisers appealed that clubs should not select English and British championship races to also be in their club championship because it was said this would increase the competition for entries to said races.

Following the over-subscription of Pendle, Tebay, Wasdale, and Langdale this year, can any members of the forum give any idea how far clubs have tried to avoid selection of Eng/Brit races for their club-championships?

Re: Eng/British races -club ch

...I think the English and British races should be made as competitive and accessible as possible, and I'm keen to see a competive club-champs at all levels too.

It's difficult to devise a club-championship that doesn't clash with the English and British champs calendar, particularly when you'd hope your best club runners could compete at both...And is it possible to have a respectable club-championship which doesn't include the classics?

Master

We chose Half Tour of Pendle before it was announced but generally we steer clear of championship races as results can be unfair due to large crowds. i.e. if someone gets clogged up at the back
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

It's a tricky one. If you want your club to be competitive in the English champs then making some of those races club champs races helps to get people out. Otherwise people are having to pick and choose between either club or English (not everyone can race every weekend, don't forget - jobs, families etc. often take priority).

In previous years we've normally had all 6 English champs in our club champs (except last year when only 2 or 3 of us got entries for the 3 Peaks, so we replaced that one). This year we've chosen 4 of the English champs races.

FellMonster

This really is a hornets nest.
    Agreed, champs should be open BUT BUT BUT if you've missed out on the champs races this year it really is your own fault...Tebay was still available for entry til a few weeks ago......the BRITISH CHAMP races outside of England rarely if ever fill up.......so there's your safe bet...

Banned

I compile our club races and never use British or English champ races.
    I go for traditional events that fit the bill and are enter on the day.