Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A gel just before a race.

A gel just before a race.

At Belmont last month i noticed a fair few runners had a gel about 5-10 minutes before the race.

Now is this actually going to help because at the moment i need all the help i can get.

Its Hendersons End tonight and my legs are just totally dead and lifeless and to run 6 miles at race pace is asking alot of them it seems and maybe a gel might help a tiny bit?

Also thought could it not give you a stitch?

They say dont try anything new on race day....but i might break that rule tonight.

Master

Re: A gel just before a race.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    At Belmont last month i noticed a fair few runners had a gel about 5-10 minutes before the race.

Now is this actually going to help because at the moment i need all the help i can get.

Its Hendersons End tonight and my legs are just totally dead and lifeless and to run 6 miles at race pace is asking alot of them it seems and maybe a gel might help a tiny bit?

They say dont try anything new on race day....but i might break that rule tonight.
    A bit of crack will do the trick
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post

If your legs are tired due to training then it will probably not help much at all. If you've not eaten for a while and your blood sugar is low then I would say it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    If your legs are tired due to training then it will probably not help much at all. If you've not eaten for a while and your blood sugar is low then I would say it will help.
    I have no idea why my legs are dead really.

I havent done proper training in six months and i last ran about 3 weeks ago.
    Ive cycled about 45 miles this week so maybe thats the reason but god knows...my body doesnt seem to be normal.

Al i think they might be "dead" due developing new muscle from the bike.Although not running for 3 weeks will not make them feel great
    I take a gel about 30 mins before a race,whether it be mtb or fell race.
    You should not be putting any pressure on yourself to achieve anything with so little training.Use the race to gain experience,i have found that i can achieve better results now with the same fitness due to race experience alone.Hope this helps.

If you want a gel, have one.......

....although footballers are often asked to remain celibate for 24 hours before a big match....

fb
    The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Tony Vardy

Keep away from them full stop,bloody awful things

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    tis true, they're rank, and give me stomach cramps

I have found an energy bar that is alright though: Mule Bar they're called, not bad at all...

Last night just before the Blencathra race I noticed 'lurker Stu' ate a gel. Maybe he could give up his job as a lurker and opine on the subject?
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    totally agree fleeter, although at coniston gullies i did try a go bar and a maxim bar and they were great don't know if they worked or not like but they tasted a hell of alot better than the gels.
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.