Thread: Training in North Skye

Training in North Skye

I'm off to a cottage second week of Easter, somwhere between Dunvegan and Tarbert. Anyone know any goor routes etc.? I'm not sure I'm up to the Cuillin (excuse spelling) ridge!

Re: Training in North Skye

Mrs M and I have done a run from Orbost just south of Dunvegan. We climbed along side the forest to reach Bealach Bharcasaig. From here it was along Glen Ollisdal to the top of the costal cliffs which were followed to MacLeods Maidens. A good path was then followed back to Orbost. The distance was about 12 miles but there was a fair amount of pathless terrain where we had to navigate. An alternative may be an out and back run from Orbost to MacLeods Maidens.
    Marsco and the Beinn Dearg hills make a good route from Sligachan. If you want some more details PM me and I will try to scan some descriptions for you

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorboy View Post
    I'm off to a cottage second week of Easter, somwhere between Dunvegan and Tarbert. Anyone know any goor routes etc.? I'm not sure I'm up to the Cuillin (excuse spelling) ridge!
    I know two good routes depending on what sort of terrain

1) Red Cuillin Traverse, not as rough going as the Black Cuillin, From Sligachan Hotel head east up Glamaig turning slowly south to Beinn Dearg Mhor, continue down the ridge to Beinn Dearg mheadhonach, eventually turn SW then W to Marsco before dropping down steeply NW to Glen Sligachan, possibly take a dip in the stream before running down the glen back to the hotel. Approx 10 mile but with quite a bit of climbing. plenty of escape routes from any of the bealachs.

2) Slightly Longer but linear, so you would either run back down the road or scrounge a lift but well worth doing is the Trotternish peninsula, From Staffin climb SW to Beinn Edra, follow ridge S pass Baca Ruadh and The Storr, Continue S to Beinn a Chearcaill then S then E back to road. Approx 16 miles Escapes to the east are regular, Escape to the W any where. Superb views, not quite as high but rough ground in places.

Just north of here is the short Quirang circle approx 6 miles, Start about 4 miles north of Staffin.

Ian

Thanks chaps.
    What does the Quirang circle involve?
    Also, I guess (generally) there's no problems with access?

Had a great few days in Skye over the Easter break - would recommend it to anyone. Did a few short runs and a longish run along the Trotternish ridge (starting at the Quiraing and then going south to Bealach na Leacaich (via Ben Edra) and then east to Lealt. Took about 3 hours all in and involved quite a scary (for a boy from the flats of the Vale of York) descent from the ridge.
    Thanks for the route tips. Would also like to have done Macloed's Tables and/or the Red Cuilins. Maybe next time!

david

If you're looking for somewhere to stay on the Trotternish peninsula have a look at Garybuie, owned by Kev Delaney, keen runner and former neighbour of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    If you're looking for somewhere to stay on the Trotternish peninsula have a look at Garybuie, owned by Kev Delaney, keen runner and former neighbour of mine.
    Don't expect too much (sounds ideal for Molehill however)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBuie
    The nearest shop/pub/restaurant is five miles away in Uig, where ferries sail to the Outer Hebrides.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker