Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baslow Bootbash

Re: Baslow Bootbash

Agreed, great day out in great weather. Was my 3rd LDWA event and was the the usual well organised LDWA set up, drinks at checkpoints, good route and good hearty meal at the finish. Considering doing the Malvern LDWA event next weekend. I followed a mate most of the way who had done it 2 times before, a little slower than I could of done but wasnt bothered, came in at 5hr 3min. Crackin.
    Mobile: 07854458103 Email: [email protected]

What a fantastic day. Only my second LDWA event but I think I’m addicted.

Well done to Baslow Choir - it was brilliantly organised, everyone was so friendly and the route was fabulous. Only two minor hiccups – I totally forgot to put on any sunscreen so was red as a tomato by the finish and some idiot with a dog on an extendable lead tried to take me out in Monsal Dale.

I had been a bit concerned with not having done that kind of distance before but took it steady and apart from a slight bonk just before CP5 at Foolow where a caffeinated gel and a few biscuits sorted me out I felt really good all the way round. Ran with two lovely chaps, John & Glen from Leighton Buzzard, for a while until they lost me on the hill out of Over Haddon but kept catching them up at check points.

Good to see Nick again – glad you are making your come back. Sorry I didn’t see you Splatcher – hope you had a good day.

Massive thanks to the Baslow Choir for a brilliant day out.

Good to see you Emma and Splatcher. It truly was a marvellous day and the organisation was so slick and friendly. The meat pie at the finish was particulalry meaty I thought.
    I jogged round with my brother. It was his first event above half marathon distance. He enjoyed the experience, retrospectively at least. It was a novelty to run a whole event and finish with someone. My time of 5:56 may have been an hour down on what it might have been had I been fit, but at least I got a good sun tan out of it and I had an extra hour of soaking up the views, which are always second to none around those parts.

Hi there,

We have done the BBB for every year of it's 6 year history, and have become quite knowlegable about the route. We have used 5 seperate GPS's on the recommended route, as well as mapping it as accuratly as we can on Google and Bing.

The outcome is that the recommended route is around 27.5 miles (if not slightly higher).

We are local(ish) and have been out for many evening walks, and plotted as many alternatives as we can reasonably find, to try and get the route to 26miles.

We've managed around 26.5, but the route we now use is around 26.8.

We have been asked by the organisers to feed this information back to them, which we will do shortly.

By next year I suspect that the walk may be listed as a 27.5 mile route (to avoid roads), or have the recommended route altered.

Cheers.

Must admit my polar footpod registered 28.7 miles, appreciate its not 100% accurate but its normally that far out

Brilliant event, well organized and great views. Stuck to the organisers route and it came up 27.8 miles on the Garmin and I don't think we got lost apart from 1 slight detour. Ran with Emma for many miles, until my friend needed a 'comfort' break at a village pub!!! Agree the results have to be taken with a pinch of salt as there seemed to be many opportunities to pound the tarmac if that was what you wanted. Would def come back and do it next year and hopefully bring a few more southern runners to experience the hills!

Anyone doing this tomorrow? Looking like it could be a nice day for it.

I haven't done an event like this before and was wondering what I should expect at the CP's. Will it just be water, or is there likely to be some food available?