Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambleside Sports

Ambleside Sports

Summer hols to the Lakes coincides with Ambleside Sports this year. Does anyone have any info on the fell races held at the sports (distance, entry details etc.), in particular can anyone turn up on the day and run?

Cheers,

DB

Re: Ambleside Sports

Great day especially if dry. Two races to pick from, the Rydal round which is virtually the Fairfield Horseshoe and the much shorter Bofra race which is straight up and down.

The Bofra race is certainly enter on the day and there are kids races as well. Check the FRA calendar for Rydal Round details.

I think the Rydal Round is free to enter , but the sports field isn't
    I'm having an old friend for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    Great day especially if dry. Two races to pick from, the Rydal round which is virtually the Fairfield Horseshoe and the much shorter Bofra race which is straight up and down.

The Bofra race is certainly enter on the day and there are kids races as well. Check the FRA calendar for Rydal Round details.
    I would be interested to know excatley how the RR differs from the FH ? - I have a map for the horseshoe but not the Rydal Round. We are hopefully up that week for this as well. ?

That's right - you just pay to enter the field and you can enter both races for free. The RR is first followed by the shorter Guide Race. Both smashing races, there's always 1 or 2 hardy / foolish individuals who do both.

'tis my understanding that the course for both is the same with just a slightly different start and finish point, so your map will be suitable, i have the same one
    the guides race is great, have done it many times and yes it's definitely free once you have paid to get into the sports field (prizes are generous too). Don't know the full crack on the RR but am hoping to do it this year.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Thanks bestathlete. Were actually up there this weekend with other club members who are doing Coniston 14/ BGR training etc - so we might have a run round the course

you go up nab scar via the main public path, not through a private (might be open access route, but DEFINATELY NOT the way walkers go) path that FH does.

there is a checkpoint on nab scar. that is it for CP until Fairfield. then there is a checkpoint, i think this year it was on Low Pike. We then came down via the FH route into the finish, but usually it brings you crashing down through a flagged bracken-strewn route off to your right, and into the finish field.
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    Great day especially if dry.
    That's right, but don't necessarily expect good weather at an English summer fair!
    In 2005, conditions were appalling on the tops. The marshals couldn't stand up and were withdrawn; Pete Bland warned competitors that they were running at their own risk. I've never known wind like it - sounds like Edale last Sunday was similar - and there was sleet and hail to add to the fun. About a third of the runners turned back around Heron Pike, freezing and unable to make headway.
    Of course, this is a risk in any race that involves serious ascent, but I must confess that until then I hadn't thought to pack a balaclava when setting out to a July event. I do now!

Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    Thanks bestathlete. Were actually up there this weekend with other club members who are doing Coniston 14/ BGR training etc - so we might have a run round the course

I'm running in the Coniston 14 too. Look out for me. Skinnny bloke with longish blonde hair and an orange vest.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk