Thread: Strength training

Master

Strength training

Is strength training ideal just for general fitness or does it have specific positives for fellrunning.any help appreciated
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Re: Strength training

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Is strength training ideal just for general fitness or does it have specific positives for fellrunning.any help appreciated
    tom id avoid strength training if i was you as ive been told were to youn as our muscles are still developing and growing it can have side affects and leaves you knackered
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

your better just running mate

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    It depends how it is done. In terms of physical condition, no other form of exercise has quite a dramatic effect on the body as strength training. Only if carried out with the correct exercises and speed of movement.

Scott above is right in some respects. Weight training can drain the system if you attempt to run or cycle too many miles in between. This is because the weight session stimulates muscular growth and energy is required to achieve this growth.

Saying that if you just want overall fitness, then you could combine the two. Just limit the amount of running. The weight sessions should be short regardless.

Think we've been here before somehow...

Bring it on...

Who said the forum needed spicing up...?

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    tom id avoid strength training if i was you as ive been told were to youn as our muscles are still developing and growing it can have side affects and leaves you knackered

There are alot of misconceptions about weight training for the younger client, based upon no valid scentific evidence and alot of anecdotal opinions. Personally I think in excess it can be draining as you mentioned and potentially damaging; but what training isnt in excess.

Now let me put this to you. How much force do you think goes through your quads and gluteal muscles when you are on a steep ascent, per stride during a fell race. This is fine for our young fell runners, yet put them in a gym and work with a similiar force/resistance on a lunge or a squat and everyone goes ballistic about how bad this is for the client, figure.

Now think of the eccentic loads through the quads and calfs on a steep descent and you start to see my argument. Weight training for the younger client is fine under sensible supervision. Fatigue factor as a response of the training is another debate.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Bricks and oranges work for me, ya know, not too sure about being punched in the stomach
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iPFK5T_G3U
    Its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, ya know