Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheats

Cheats

A bit of rant here.

An old topic but it really does p!ss me off. The Race Organisor of today's race KT (which was run really well) stipulated the the kit required to do this race, saying there would be a kit check at the end. Maybe the kit list was a little harsh but thats up to the RO and he has put the time an effort in to organise the event so I happy to respect it and take it.

I know of three runners who took no kit (well one had an Ipod) and saw many runners with just a windproof, no map, no compass, no waterproofs, No w/pants , No scruples, no respect. In otherwords they cheated. They cheated themselves and all the runners who came in behind them who followed the rules. It show HUGE disrespect to the RO to blatantly cheat. Yes cheat I'll say it again because that what you are....

this could be helped by RO actually doing a kit check and DISQ any runners who don't carry kit because they will keep doing it until they caught.

Sorry for that

I hope you all enjoy your sunny weekend

FellMonster

Re: Cheats

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    A bit of rant here.

An old topic but it really does p!ss me off. The Race Organisor of today's race KT (which was run really well) stipulated the the kit required to do this race, saying there would be a kit check at the end. Maybe the kit list was a little harsh but thats up to the RO and he has put the time an effort in to organise the event so I happy to respect it and take it.

I know of three runners who took no kit (well one had an Ipod) and saw many runners with just a windproof, no map, no compass, no waterproofs, No w/pants , No scruples, no respect. In otherwords they cheated. They cheated themselves and all the runners who came in behind them who followed the rules. It show HUGE disrespect to the RO to blatantly cheat. Yes cheat I'll say it again because that what you are....

this could be helped by RO actually doing a kit check and DISQ any runners who don't carry kit because they will keep doing it until they caught.

Sorry for that

I hope you all enjoy your sunny weekend
    I recall Lloyd Taggart running in similar weather conditions at Great Whernside in a British & English Champs race in October 2007 without so much as a vest let alone a bumbag.... I tend to think you're being a b it harsh Ian

I equally recall Robb Jebb taking on waterproofs from a spectating friend/clubmate midway through the infamous 2007 Edale Skyline race
    Last edited by FellMonster; 14-06-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Well, I wouldn't call myself much of a fell runner yet, but I've walked the Fellsman a couple of times, and I tend to agree with Ian; if you enter an event, it is implicit that you agree to abide by the rules. If you don't, then you can't claim to have completed it properly. It's like someone with the full kit list taking a short cut - cheating!

I tend to agree with Ian as well. I did Duddon on a beautiful day of around 24C and had to carry full waterproof body cover etc.

I have no problem with that - I would like to think that I am on a level playing field with everyone else (although my running abaility is a little of a handicap) but quite clearly many don't follow the clear instructions.

I would agree that final kit checks should be the order of the day.

I did Sedbergh Hills though and saw one guy hand is bumbag in at CP1 - I assume he picked it up on his way back in!

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    I recall Lloyd Taggart running in similar weather conditions at Great Whernside in a British & English Champs race in October 2007 without so much as a vest let alone a bumbag.... I tend to think you're being a b it harsh Ian

I equally recall Robb Jebb taking on waterproofs from a spectating friend/clubmate midway through the infamous 2007 Edale Skyline race
    I can't comment on lloyds as I wasn't there or know what the kit list was but he should carry whatever the RO said

As for Edale 07 I was one of those incharge of kitcheck at that race and we didn't let anyone through unless they had full waterproof cover. There was also a sign advising about extra kit due to the conditions so if someone want ed extra kit either they had got rid of some after kit check or it wasn't up to the job the weather was paticularly bad though so perhaps it was extra kit he was after on top of what he carried. there were plenty of runners who suffered on that day and there were people trying to get a pertex top through kit check saying it was waterproof tht is the purpous of kitchecks

The point is a RO puts the kit list out so if you want to enter his race you carry it. simple. if not go for a run on the hills by yourself or with your mates and carry what you want.

FellMonster

I understand your point....but "cheat" seems a touch harsh.....

'naughty', or 'urchin' may be more apt

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I can't comment on lloyds as I wasn't there or know what the kit list was but he should carry whatever the RO said

As for Edale 07 I was one of those incharge of kitcheck at that race and we didn't let anyone through unless they had full waterproof cover. There was also a sign advising about extra kit due to the conditions so if someone want ed extra kit either they had got rid of some after kit check or it wasn't up to the job the weather was paticularly bad though so perhaps it was extra kit he was after on top of what he carried. there were plenty of runners who suffered on that day and there were people trying to get a pertex top through kit check saying it was waterproof tht is the purpous of kitchecks

The point is a RO puts the kit list out so if you want to enter his race you carry it. simple. if not go for a run on the hills by yourself or with your mates and carry what you want.
    Im no expert on this topic,
    but can you not let them run without the kit?
    the if anything happens to them its their own fault for not been adequately prepared?
    or would that affect the insurance policy thing from the FRA?

seems pointless having a kitcheck at the end of a race....3 peaks is at the start, don't let people start sans kit if thats the race requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by FellrunningGod123 View Post
    Im no expert on this topic,
    but can you not let them run without the kit?
    the if anything happens to them its their own fault for not been adequately prepared?
    or would that affect the insurance policy thing from the FRA?
    That's feasible for the individual if they want to take the risk - but these are races - not recces.
    A full kit can we quite a few pounds and carrying such a dead weight up and down a few climbs is quite significant.
    Like FM says - cheating may be a bit harsh - but if someone without full kit comes in 1st V40 5 secs ahead of someone else who has full kit, is that an urchin or is it unfair?

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    I understand your point....but "cheat" seems a touch harsh.....

'naughty', or 'urchin' may be more apt
    I take your point FM but if they are getting an advantage from it is cheating

If an athlete takes drugs to get an advantage whats that?
    If a race car uses non regulation kit and gets an advantage whats that?
    if a cricketer tampers with a ball whats that?

As another runner said to me at the very least it's disrespectful to the RO

why enter a race to challenge yourself against others and then be an 'Naughty Urchin' can't see the point myself.