Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toenail gone

Toenail gone

from my second toe - does it matter? is it best to bandage up the exposed bit now?

my second toes are longer than my big ones, so they tend to take a right battering, and the other one won't be far behind

is it worh doing anything to protect them in future or just let nature take its course?
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 16-06-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Re: Toenail gone

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    from my second toe - does it matter? is there anything I need to do like bandage up the exposed bit now?

do they grow back?
    No, no and yes (though in my case, very slowly).

i lost 4 toenails from the 3P's and still waiting for the last one to drop off. been quite a worry

two toenails

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    i lost 4 toenails from the 3P's and still waiting for the last one to drop off. been quite a worry
    That's my twin brother you're talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    Can't remember how long it took my big toenail to come off... best part of a year. About 18 months before it was completely replaced!

Quote Originally Posted by two toenails View Post
    That's my twin brother you're talking about!
    ?? are you black then???

I lose a few each year (four on Tanky's was a record). They grow back but it's a bit tender until the tips of your nail-less toes harden up. Keep em well clipped is the obvious answer although it's something I clearly fail to do....

I keep mine well clipped, a habit from my hard climbing days in tight shoes. I still lose the odd one. Don't worry.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

lost two toenails and 1 already groeing back the other one i was protecting with a plaster that came off whilst running last night..

me running shoe turned a nice new shade of red!
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Wardle Skyline race two weeks ago did for my left big toenail; it's still partly attached (firmly enough that it isn't flapping around). I saw my GP today who referred me to the podiatry clinic (mainly because she was appalled at the fungal infection and thickening of the other toenails). Meanwhile, the big toenail looks likely to come off in a week or two, so my question is: how best to protect the raw skin underneath, after it comes off? The GP suggested I could go to the pharmacist and get some pads to protect it; any more specific suggestions?

I went for a 3-mile run last Saturday (first run since Wardle), and it got somewhat painful during the last mile (which was mostly gentle downhill). The GP reckons I should lay off running for a few weeks more, and wasn't particularly pleased when I said I can go cycling instead. Do any of you have experience of running with loose/lost toenails?