Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddy Buckley - Route block?

Paddy Buckley - Route block?

the main by way through the quarries is being shut for 3-4 weeks, up to a possible 6 months, for filming for clash of the titans. I'm not sure how this will affect the PBR through the quarries. There will be additional infrastructure in place, fences removed, but there is a chance they may install new fencing.

It'll be shut from the 29th.

Re: Paddy Buckley - Route bloc

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    the main by way through the quarries is being shut for 3-4 weeks, up to a possible 6 months, for filming for clash of the titans. I'm not sure how this will affect the PBR through the quarries. There will be additional infrastructure in place, fences removed, but there is a chance they may install new fencing.

It'll be shut from the 29th.
    Could you keep us informed if a new fence goes up
    Bill

Yeah, there's a new BMC access rep for North Wales, hopefully he'll know more, while he doesn't start for a few weeks he may know what's going on.

There's a small note on Snowdonia Active at the moment.

Anyway I'll let you know.

Route will be totally blocked for 4 weeks from Monday, maybe longer. Security are all over the show and their quarters are right at the point the PBR crosses the by-way. We'll see when the fences go up what's best to do.

I'm meant to be doing a round with someone on the 25th July.

Thinking about it one option maybe to carry on over the slate zig zags, over the iron bridge and up to bus stop quarry and then up the RHS of the quarry to join the track that enters the main quarry at about 450m. I've looked down this and it looks possible, not sure, that then joins into the main track that runs up the side of the inclines that is used on the Peris route. It's a bit longer but should only add 5-10 minutes onto the route max.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Security are all over the show and their quarters are right at the point the PBR crosses the by-way. We'll see when the fences go up what's best to do.
    Is it 24h security
    Bill

I think so. Record attempt on soon so it could cause issues. Another PB attemptee has had the same route diversion idea of me, we'll check it out this week. I think it adds 5-10 minutes to the route so not disastrous.

Can you do a reeic this week Iain.

We have a Dark Peaker going soon and he won't be able to get down for a recce before his attempt. cheers

I'll head up one night, will post when I do. Probably Wednesday.

Iain,

Have you seen the Temporary Closure Notices issued by the Council? They outline exactly which paths are closed. I found one and took a photo with my camera and will try to extract it from the phone for reference and post it here (if it is legible). In the meantime I have also emailed the Council to try and get a copy which will be clearer, again hopefuly to post on this thread.

The zig zag path which runs from by the mini roundabout by Llyn Peris where you go left for the Welsh Slate Museum and right for the Power Station is not on the closure list. This route passes over the top of the Peris Horseshoe Route on the Iron Bridge as you said and continues on past Blue Peris where the track turns into a tarmac road. I then went past the Bus Stop Quarry and skirted on up by the quarry workings but I think further to the left of where you were suggesting. It works fine. Whilst it is a bit further it is not as depressing as I first thought, as I had visions of having to go into Nant Peris and going over the shoulder of Elidir Fawr to get to Elidir Fach!

I'll email you shortly anyway. Thanks for your post on this route block, without it I would have been very confused in the dark and quite a few hours in! Instead I enjoyed a 3-30am start this morning to drive out and re-recce watching the sun rise in my rear view mirror as I drove down the A55!

Simon